My dad has advanced prostate cancer

• 29 replies
  • 113 subscribers

Hi all, 

new to the forum, my dad has been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer and is due to have a TURP operation next Friday (13th), he had an appointment yesterday in which they told him they are suspicious that the cancer has now spread because of how advanced it is although bone scan around 5 weeks ago didn’t show any spread and they want to do a PET scan in the next two weeks. He will be having hormone injections soon and the plan was to also have radiotherapy but not certain that will be the plan of action still if it has spread. 

im 26 and have recently moved an hour away from my parents (unfortunately move in day was the same week the diagnosis was confirmed as advanced) and I just feel helpless. My dad is 69 but generally fit and healthy but I just feel so lost and confused, he is dealing with it well from what he says but with not being around everyday it is hard to tell if that really is the case. 

I suppose I’m just looking for some advice, support and comfort from people who are going through or have been through a similar thing. Xx