Type 2 Diabetes

• 1 reply
  • 110 subscribers

For several years prior to my hormone treatment I was classified as pre-diabetic having an HbA1c which hovered around 46. I started Prostap injections in October 2018 and had the last one in June 2021. For the first 1½ years of HT my HbA1c stayed around 48 so still pre-diabetic. We moved house in March 2020 (the first week of the first COVID lockdown!) and registered with a new GP practice. Although I was able to get my Prostap injections at the GP practice everything else was on hold.

After the hiatus of COVID, I finally had a health check in August 2021 and my HbA1c had risen to 54, pushing me into Type 2 Diabetes territory. The GP practice suddenly moved up a gear or two and I was quickly referred to various hospital departments for eye tests, blood circulation tests on my legs, liver and kidney function tests and a dietician! All of the tests were negative and I had a 'Near Me' video appointment with the GP practice nurse where we discussed the possibility that the "Type 2 Diabetes" was induced by the hormone treatment. She dismissed the idea completely.

I have been having six-monthly HbA1c tests for the last three years and it has gradually decreased. By February 2022 it had dropped to 51, then down a point or two every six months. I just got the result of my latest test and it is now down to 43. I haven't changed my diet at all since finishing my 20 sessions of RT in March 2019 so I conclude that the "Type 2 Diabetes" diagnosed by the GP practice was entirely due to the three years of hormone treatment. I had a face to face appointment with my new GP earlier this week (about another issue) and, when he asked if there was anything else he could help with, I mentioned the relationship between HT and Type 2. He said "You are the third patient I have seen recently who has said this. I think there might be something in it."!

So, if you are on hormone treatment and have been told that your HbA1c levels are too high, please tell your medical professionals to read the Patient Information Leaflet for your HT drug and be aware that it is reversible.

Oh, and by the way, I have also lost all the weight I gained (8kg!) during HT but still have the "Moobs" of which most 14 year-old girls would be very proud.

I hope this will help all of you who are on the various HT treatments and are having issues with your blood sugar levels.

• Good Morning Seamus

Well done you!!

That's just the conversation I had with my GP and although I was already Type 2 the HT pushed my HBA1C up!! It's taken him 2 years to agree that it's the HT doing it and as you say I asked him to read the patient information leaflet. It was at this point he agreed and my "acceptable" HBA1C is now set at 50. I hope it will start to come down now I have had this last HT injection!!

Oh and we are off to the Dog's Home tomorrow to view another rescue ex racing greyhound - happy days.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.