Mobility

• 5 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hi. My dad has stage 4 prostate cancer which has spread to his bones and lymph nodes. Recently his mobility has not been the best. His leg tends to give way and he was collapsed a few times because of this. I was just wondering if many people with prostrate cancer tend to need a wheelchair? 

• Hello  .

A warm welcome to the group. This is a difficult one to answer because a lot of things can come in to play. All I can say is that the hormone therapy can affect walking, stumbling, particularly after long term use and care has to be taken that osteoporosis doesn't develop - there are drugs which can help prevent this. Fatigue is a problem for my husband who was diagnosed in July 2020 with advanced prostate cancer and he has had to resort to using a seat walker if we are going short distances. For longer distances he uses a mobility scooter.

• Hi Oleary9901

Good afternoon it's great to meet you today sorry that it's under these circumstances though!!!

Yes I had my diagnosis last June 2023 "Terminal Prostate Cancer" that has spread to my bones.

My PSA was initially 1000+ and the consultant was unsure about my recovery 

I'm now down to PSA 0.9 following Hormone Therapy (injections and tablets) which have made a great difference.

I am also wheelchair bound which is also due to previous health problems (Stroke)

Currently I am trying to keep as mobile as possible in and around my house to try to keep healthy and as fit as possible.

Please please come back to me if I can help/support you further???

Prostate Worrier.

• Hi, I’m not great with all the medical terms etc, my mom often helps with the medications and goes with him to the appointments. I’m 22, and one of five siblings (same mom and dad lol) My dad was diagnosed in 2021 which at that point it had already spread to the bones etc, the brca gene runs in his family - but his family never told my dad until he found out he had cancer. it’s so hard to watch him change and not be able to do the things he once could and should be able to do. I’m really worried about him loosing his mobility and if he does, his home isn’t the best for a wheelchair.  He’s only 54, I think it’s a combination of the meds and fatigue, he regularly falls asleep, to the point where it’s normal now for him to doze in the middle of a conversation, film, anything really. 

I’m scared. I don’t want to loose my dad, I also don’t want to watch him suffer. it’s such a confusing thing. I guess I just wanted to know if it was common for patients with prostate cancer to loose their mobility.
    Sorry, I don’t really know what I’m typing atm. Just offloading I guess.

• Hello  

I am so sorry to read of dad's condition - as  said above the Hormone therapy can affect your dad's bone structure. May I make 2 suggestions:

* Have a word with dad's oncologist/urologist team - let them know how bad he is and see if they can help - changes in medication?

* Give our support line a ring on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days), The support line is for all the family - I am sure they will be able to offer you some extra help.

I hope this helps, let me know how you get on - I do have a couple of other ideas.

We also have another forum where you might find some help and extra support and here's the link to it-

Carers only forum 

Just click on the link I have provided and when the page opens up click on "join* on the black banner at the bottom of the page - you can then introduce yourself in the "New here - Say Hello". You are sure to get lots of practical ideas for helping dad.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi  .

Don't worry about offloading, we are here to help if we can. Everything you are describing is as a result of the hormone therapy and it is horrible seeing our loved ones struggling as a result of it. There are some things which might help your dad in the short term such as physiotherapy, or having an occupational therapist coming in and seeing if there are any modifications or aids which might help dad maintain his independence - accessed through his doctor. Also has dad thought about applying for disability benefits which might help with some of the additional costs living with cancer can cause - Macmillan have experts who can help with filling in forms and making sure that you get any benefits your dad might be entitled to.

You are obviously worried about losing dad, it's the first thought we all have when diagnosed with cancer. There are many on this forum who have a similar diagnosis to dads and are still doing well several years after initial diagnosis. There are a whole range of treatments available and maybe your dad should go back to the oncologist and see if his needs tweaking to give him a better quality of life.