Travel Insurance with Prostate Cancer

• 9 replies
  • 116 subscribers

Hi all 

My husband has recently completed radiotherapy and still on hormone therapy have a holiday booked for May but have been informed that our current insurance will not cover him now for travel.  Do any of you have any recommendations.  He’s not had a day off work through all his pain and treatment it’s so frustrating and yet they won’t cover him to travel,  a holiday will do him the world of good  !! Many thanks

Diane 

• Hi, we managed to get a worldwide annual travel insurance with Insure and Go. Husband with metastatic prostate cancer and me with recent surgery for skin cancer. It wasn’t cheap but bizarrely cheaper than the 4 weeks we initially wanted to go to the USA to visit family. It had good amounts of cover although thankfully we didn’t need to use it. 
    Hope you get some cover soon and enjoy a much deserved holiday. 

• Hello   Diane  That sounds like a great plan - a holiday!!  I found out the cost of my insurance dropped by over a half once I had completed my Radiotherapy. I can advise you as follows:

* On the Community we have a special forum for travel insurance  Travel insurance forum for cancer patients . You can join this forum by clicking on the link provided and check out the various Insurance Companies there.

* On a personal note Mrs Millibob and I have an annual policy with Insurancewith. They were not the cheapest but their cover suited us as Mrs Millibob has issues (medical ones I should add!) and they covered not only that but we go to Turkey and we are in the Asian part - hence needing worldwide cover.

* Just a word of advice, most companies request an online form be completed - when you have spent an age filling it in and you mention the "Big C" - when you request a quote it says - "please telephone us to arrange cover". As most companies use the same algorithms we found it betted to telephone for a quote and speak to a human.

I hope the above helps and you have a fantastic holiday.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thank you I’ll check them out Slight smile

• Fabulous thank you Brian that’s really helpful Slight smile I’ll check it out 

• Hi Diane

Like Brian I used Insurancewith on a trip to Australia. They asked far more questions than any of the other companies, particularly around what drugs I was on, staging, PSA etc. Far more professional in my view.

I felt some companies priced so as not to get the business!

Enjoy your holiday!

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • We have annual travel insurance with our well known high street bank beginning with B( hm, they’re closing down their high street branches). The underwriter is Avanti. We had no cover until radiotherapy was completed but it was reinstated as soon as he had finished. That said, our oncologist recommended we remained UK bound until a good 6-8 weeks after RT had finished because affects can still happen! We went away after this 6 -8 weeks but my husband was very very tired. We had a good time but he wasn’t up to much sight seeing etc. hope you get it sorted and have a good time

• Hi. I have completed Rt and was still on HT and got an annual insurance with Staysure for Europe for £250. I've also had single trip policies with Total Travel protection for about £70. I have quite a long list of existing conditions.

• Hi Diane We have an annual insurance through our bank and we’re going on a Canary’s Cruise on Friday I phoned today as I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer in January,as I’m on Active Surveillance until my appointment on the 24th of April I was pleasantly surprised it was only an extra £48 .i think it’s a viva they deal with, Robert

• It sounds like I have the same policy with said Bank.  They were really good when I rang up.  They simply added the cancer and operation to their list and, hey presto I was covered.  Had a great holiday lounging on the beach and around the pool.