PSA and Testosterone levels

• 4 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Hi 

I’ve started hormonal treatment with Bicalutamide daily, my PSA level gone down from 17 last January to 2.4 today but my testosterone level is 31.42 I don’t really know what it means?

i am seeing my consultant next month to discuss further details, I know I am not out of the woods yet but this medication seems to work for me with little side effect.

I really appreciate any help you can give me.

all the best 

• Hello   A warm welcome to the online Prostate Cancer Community.

I am pleased to say your PSA is reducing well but the testosterone level would appear to be normal for a male - do I assume you have only just started Hormone Therapy?  

To help us help you can you update your profile to let us have your diagnosis (Gleason Score and TNM staging) and journey timeline. To do this go to your home page, click on the chair - top right - then "profile" and then "edit". (You can read my profile by clicking on the chair - but you don't need to write a book!).

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Just a word of explanation. The testosterone levels can be shown in different ways depending on which country you live in e.g in Greece my husband's testosterone level is normally around 25ng/dl which is considered castration level as it is below 50. 

I have attached a chart which shows what the normal testosterone is dependent on age in America and Europe.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Testosterone_levels_in_males_and_females

In the UK it is measured as nmol/L so the normal range is considerably lower.

https://www.gloshospitals.nhs.uk/our-services/services-we-offer/pathology/tests-and-investigations/testosterone/

So the question Incredible1 is where do you live?

• Ah   Well spotted - it's my assumption everyone is on the UK scale. I do apologise.

As I always say - I have been wrong before!!  Flushed

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi

When I was diagnosed, I had no idea what my testosterone level was - actually I still don't!

The Bicalutamide is doing its thing by bringing down your PSA, so all good.

Don't get hung up on the testosterone reading. Assuming you go onto HT that will stop the production of testosterone in its tracks!

Let us know what happens when you see the consultant.

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!