Calcium and vitamin D supplements

• 14 replies
  • 117 subscribers

I have read that many people who are taking hormone treatment for prostate cancer are advised to take Calcium and Vitamin d supplements to help with the impact of hormones in the bones  . Can you advise me what would be the correct dose and can I get these prescribed by my doctor ?

• Hi Skippy 

I can't recall the dose, but Poole hospital instructed my GP to prescribe the tablets. Make sure they do, because mine missed the instruction contained in a letter. I only spotted the mistake after seeing something on here. Fortunately, despite not having the tablets for 2 years, no damage was done.

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi Skippy.

Your doctor should give you a prescription for Calcium and Vitamin D.

I have attached an information sheet which shows why it is recommended and at what levels depending on age.

www.hopkinsmedicine.org/.../vitamin-d-and-calcium

Hope you are keeping ok.

• HiSkippy1959

I take Alca D perscribed by the doctor, two tablets daily roughly the same time each day,vitimin d you can get at most stores, but if you ask about Alca d ask about vitamin D.

Stay safe

Joe

• We asked the oncologist about this and I thought he was quite dismissive he said it is not something we prescribe. So after doing abit of research my husband bought something called better you which is d3000+K2. I checked with our oncology nurse and she said it was fine. We have our next appointment soon and it is with a different doctor so will ask him. 

• Hello Skippy, as i was young 57, fairly fit and had good bone density i was told they were unnecessary for me as any noticeable deterioration would take about three years, if at all, so wouldn't be relevant to me

Eddie

• I asked my consultant about this & was told that in my case, as I would only be on HT for 9 months, it wasn't something they would prescribe.  As it happens, I already take a daily cod liver oil supplement which contains vitamin D (50% RDA), so haven't followed up on this.  Funnily enough my local surgery rang yesterday to arrange a follow up appointment early Feb with full blood tests a few days before so will question this again.

• Funnily enough my local surgery rang yesterday to arrange a follow up appointment

It's great to see someone with a Pro-Active GP Practice. 

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Perhaps everyone should also look into taking vitamin K2 with vitamin D3.  I have read that to avoid organ deposition of calcium ie particularly in the heart's blood supply and the same with the kidneys, which can be detrimental, K2 in conjunction with D3 assists in the depositing of calcium in the correct place - the bones.

I prefer 100 micrograms of K2 MK4, as I found that MK7 seemed to give me palpitations.

Please of course research this in relation to your own health situation.

• Thanks for that  - Just a reminder to everyone  - before taking any additional non-prescribed medication

Please of course research this in relation to your own health situation.

and check with either your G P or pharmacist that it is safe to do so.

Kind Regards - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Skippy

After a couple of years on hormone therapy a DEXA scan arranged by my GP showed mild osteopenia and I now take a prescription of two ADCAL-D3 750mg/200 IOU tablets twice daily to maintain my 63 year old bones as best I can.  These tablets combine calcium and vitamin D - apparently each helps you absorb the other.  If you are taking any other vitamin supplements take these at a different time as I read somewhere that the calcium can inhibit their absorption if taken simultaneously.  

What nobody tells you is that calcium also bungs you up - this affects me mostly at night and I just live with it as I don't like laxatives andI am already taking more medicines than I like but probably there is something I could introduce which would help - lots of water during the day is a good habit which somehow I always seem to forget!