Vasectomy and prostate cancer?

• 14 replies
  • 111 subscribers

There ere is something that keeps niggling me. My husband had a vasectomy some 45 years ango. The GP who counselled us said there was some limited  evidence that vasectomy could increase the risk of prostate cancer in later life. At the time ‘later life’ was the least of our concerns and a long way off. But those words keep coming back to haunt me! We all know that more men are being diagnosed with prostate cancer. Now, this could be because we are all living to an older age andPC is age related. It could be because high profile men with PC are making us all aware and more men are requesting tests. It could be because diagnostics are more sophisticated and more readily available. It could be due to a multitude of reasons such as lifestyle etc. But- just but- is it because vasectomy became more commonplace all those years ago?

it would be interesting to know how many men who have had a vasectomy develop PC versus those men who have not had a vasectomy. I don’t have the time to google for evidence etc.as life has become incredibly hectic for some very nice reasons :)

• I have done a little searching for you and once again the jury is still out on this issue.

https://www.healthline.com/health/prostate-cancer/vasectomy-and-prostate-cancer

• Hi Alwayshope

Thanks for this link. It provides a very interesting and thought-provoking read!  I think the paper could be summed up as 'hedging your bets'!!!!  

• Hi worriedwife, the only PCa link to a vasectomy i ever heard was that it probably does not increase your chances but may be linked to slightly more aggressive PCa. On a similar thread  there is evidence that more virile men who produce more sperm more often with high fertility are less likely to get PCa, that explains mine then, happy cruising, take care,

Eddie

• Hi WW,

I also have a nagging theory. My partner works at a desk, as long as I've know him he's spent most of his day in a sitting position. He will work sitting, have lunch sitting, back to work and then sit down for tea and watch TV.  Since he's worked from home for the last 10 years it's been very noticeable. I think a sitting down job compacts and squashes the lower area too much. ( No Vasectomy btw)

L

• Just found this, 30% is huge

"In the study, it was found that men with office jobs, who spend a lot of the day seated, were 30% more likely to have cancer of the prostate, suggesting that physical activity is key to helping to keep the disease at bay. If you work in an office job, stop and think about how much of your day you spend sitting down."

• Thank you , Eddie. Your evidence doesn’t fit our own experience as in the first 5 years of our marriage we had 4 kids - 2 singletons and a set.of twins! We sure were busy!

• My husband didn’t have a sedentary job. He did though, work with a lot of toxic chemicals and other substances including oil. We always instructed our male employees to wash their hands before going to the loo as well as after as per guidelines at the time.

• This is interesting, Eddie. But why do the cancers occur in different form and in different parts of the body? I can understand, say, that asbestos or nicotine affects the lungs. But why do processed foods cause, say, bowel cancer in one or breast cancer in another? Why do children, with minimal exposure to processed food in terms of time get cancer and some people live into old age and have eaten lots of processed food don’t get it?

I read somewhere that the two most common questions people ask when given an unwanted diagnosis are ‘why me? Why now?’

Will we ever really know te answers?

• Anyone sitting at a desk all day should get up a couple of times an hour and walk around.  This also shows the importance of exercise.  Whatever you do you need to exercise.  I spent practically no time behind a desk during my career and had to get up and exercise taking other staff on runs in my lunch hour- though towards the end of my career I did sit down more as I moved into higher managerial rolls but I still went jogging at lunch time, or taking sports teams for coaching and keep fit classes when their instructors didn't turn up or had something else to attend to.  It was my job so I can't expect others with different careers to be able to do this but we do need to exercise.