Exercise after end of Chemo

• 7 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Hi All

I had my last Chemo session(Docetaxel) on 14th December.
Thankfully the side effects this time weren't as bad as after the 5th session and I spent the Christmas period recovering and resting

I wondered how much the chemo and HT injections would affect me with regard to exercising.
I've managed to keep walking my dog twice a day during treatment.  It was difficult sometimes but I managed

I went back to my local Karate class on Friday and got a more intense workout than dog walking.

The end result is after 4 months off martial arts I now have no power, strength, speed, stamina or balance.

I know I'd be a bit rusty after that much time off and having chemo but I didn't think I'd be that bad.  It was embarrasing

It's going to be a long road back, if I can even get there.

Has anyone else found that chemo has permanently weakened you?  
Did you manage to regain your level of fitness from before chemo or do I have to accept this is the new 'normal'?

Regards

Martin

• Hi Martin - I am from different groups (kidney & incurables) but I was touched by your post.  I am a runner and cyclist and after my cancer and treatment (immunology) I also discovered an impact on speed, stamina etc.  I am 5 mins slower running (5k/30 mins) and don't have the energy for running longer than 30 mins or cycling longer than 2 hours.   I asked my onco about this after I started treatment  (Jan 2022) and he gave me a general building-up-fitness response.  I saw the funny side.  He is trying to keep me alive for as long as possible and I am complaining I can't run an 8 minute mile any more!!  

I attribute it to the cancer or the treatment or a loss of muscle.  Also I think the mental side is relevant.  Having an incurable diagnosis must impact your viewpoint on life and values and priorities.    I'm still on the treatment (one of them is a trial) until June 2025, well that's the plan anyway.  

• Good morning Martin (aka Slartiblartfast).

Mmum has given you an excellent response. After what you have been through with side effects from both the hormone and chemotherapy in the last few months I'm glad that no. 6 wasn't so bad.

We were told that it can take up to 6 months for the effects of chemotherapy to get out of your system. Also we were told to add resistance exercises into the mix to try and build up muscle strength but with your experience you are probably already doing this. Unfortunately I think the biggest impact is going to be from the hormone therapy that you are on. How about trying to get some sessions with a trainer who is used to working with people who have cancer. 

• Thanks for your feedback.
    I can see your point.
    I was more annoyed with myself for being so bad but I'll keep on at it.
    The great thing about martial arts is it works stamina, strength and flexibility
    I guess I'll just have to keep at it and hope for some gradual improvement

• Thanks for your feedback.
    I will keep at it.
    It's going to be a hard slog but I'm used to that.
    If I can fight cancer and chemo this wont be as much of a challenge but it's annoying to have fallen so far.

• Start off slowly and work up slowly.  Ask at your Hospital and local gymnasium if they have a rehabilitation class you could join.  a lot of the local authority gyms around here run them in conjunction with the hospitals and some hospitals have their own gyms as part of their physiotherapy department.  I have done these courses after my hip and knee replacements and as part of heart rehabilitation all under the supervision of NHS physiotherapists and the last with British Heart Foundation Cardiac nurses.  After my prostate cancer treatment I salso did a 6 week course run by the local Maggie's Centre called get fit after prostate cancer treatment.  See if there is one at your local Maggie's Centre.

• Should add a little and often is the way to go - maybe a whole hour of exercise is too much do a quarter of an hour and rest and maybe a few hours later another quarter of an hour.  You need to listen to your body  and this is not a time to "go for the burn" or your not doing any good until you are in a little pain - hard for me to do and if you are used to being super fit it is hard I know.  You need to slowly lengthen your endurance of light exercise - and don't forget to stretch before and after.  Then you can start on slowly increasing to longer periods of increasingly harder exercise.  This can take at least 6 months and often up to a year.  All the best.

• Hi Martin

I remember when I had finished my chemo, before I was a pretty fit guy doing maintenance, I asked could I or would I be able to get my strength back, he was top of the people to see being a professor, Unfortunately he said no.

Right I thought I will prove him wrong and joined a gym, did the circuit of equipment that they had there. I went three times a week unfortunately no matter what I tried, I was no stronger than before, maybe a little fitter then covid hit and all what I did was wasted. I could probably do some excersize again, but it’s a risk with bones easily broken, every time I see my team they always ask have I had a fall.

My point being, you just have to take everything in proportion, when doing your karate, you might just get hit that causes a break even a slight one, we just have to be careful, take it steady all will come right.

Stay safe

Joe