Options

• 1 reply
  • 109 subscribers

About mariasusan68

Hi My Husband Keith 48 diagnosed with advanced prostrate cancer spread to nodes and bones and surrounding tissues immediately started on degarelix injections every 6 weeks after biopsy and scans where told chemo radiotherapy surgery not an option tried on apalutamide tablets on full and reduced dose but had bad side effects  so where stopped oncologist telephoned us to say as Keith was not having any cancer treatments he would be discharged from his care and he said he would ask urologist to take over Keith’s care T4 Gleason 4+3 and node and metastatic spread 

I myself was diagnosed with triple negative breast and node in 2020 had chemo and surgery and radiotherapy 

In June 2016 my 29 year old son was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia and had the most gruelling 4 years of intensive chemo and due to infection lost some of his bowel and had to have irreversible stoma surgery we came  so close to loosing him on a number of occasions but he’s here in remission and as a mother  I continue to worry as it has a high rate of return 

In October Keith’s Psa started to rise so Bicalutamide tablets where started however they didn’t lower PSA  in fact last blood it had doubled so they where stopped and steroids where give for 6 weeks and then referral back to oncologist palliative radiotherapy has been mention as keith is getting bone pain we are guessing palliative chemo could be an option but keith is adamant that he does not want this he said quality of life over quantity I also this his decision is influenced after watching our son and my self have chemotherapy which wasn’t pleasant He is 50 in February 

3 in one family 

• Hello Mariasusan68.

Welcome back. I have put a link to the PCUK site which lists the different options for treatment which might give you a starting point. It sounds as if your husband has a problem with the standard hormone therapies and if he is adamant that he does not want chemotherapy then some form of radiotherapy may be his next option. My husband is also T4 with lymph node involvement, but without the bone spread, and he had EBRT to the whole area which has kept things in that area under control for the last 41 months - our issue is more distant met spread which is too dangerous to get at with radiotherapy. The type of radiotherapy offered would depend on exactly where the spread is. Options like immunotherapy are usually reserved for later down the line because they are still only available on trial in the UK. Olaparib therapy would be dependant on whether your husband has the defective BRCA genes. Nuclear therapy has also been discussed with us as a possible option further down the line.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/treatments/choosing-a-treatment#:~:text=The%20treatment%20options%20for%20locally,by%20hormone%20therapy%20and%20radiotherapy

Can I also suggest that your son gets checked regularly for prostate cancer as he is at a greater risk of getting it.

Please come back with any questions and make sure you look after yourself as well.