Are You Allright

• 11 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Since being diagnosed with prostate cancer in the summer of  2020, it seems that wherever  I go, expecially supermarkets, I am greeted with "Are you allright?!   I even get it when visiting the surgery or the hospital.    What am I supposed to say? come out with the truth, or just lie about it and say "!'m fine thanks!"   For a long time, I would just grunt non-commitedly, but I finally came up with a better answer, and say "I'm 79, and I'm worn out!"    This does not embarrass any of them unduly, and mostly they just let it drop after, "sorry to hear that," or similar.   But after a few weeks, they get the message, and greet me  with "Good morning/afternoon, Hello, or Hi,"   But occasionally, they will say "that's great," or "jolly good," but that amuses me rather than upsets me, but I really have got fed up of "Are you allright?"

• Hi all, i just say.." iam still here"...thats normally  enough to kill off that conversation   

• That's a good one. I will try that!  

• i also have a back up ..just been diagnosed with broadline dementia , so it will be race to the box..lol..

• Back in 2010 or early 2011 just after my hip replacement I fell of my roof after climbing up to re set my TV antenna which had blown about in a gale.  It was just before dinner time and my wife didn't even know I had gone.  as she was at the cooker she saw a flash past the window and then a bump.  Even though I did hit my new hip against the gas inlet to the house I managed to twist myself so that I actually landed on my other hip - I am well practised from over 4000 parachute landings ;)  Anyway made sure we had dinner but knew I needed to go to hospital and wanted to eat and knew they wouldn't let me.  Broke two ribs and kept in for about 4 days as they were concerned about damage to internal organs - mainly lung.  I was only 67 but walked into the hospital doubled over and went to A&E reception whilst my wife parked the car - I was a spright;ly 67 then cycling, swimming, walking and going to the gym and the first thing they said was "Oh my Dear are you OK have you got a carer with you"  We have had many a laugh over that.

• Forgot to mention when any one asks me this question I just say "moving up the queue"  as an old friend of mine used to say bless him he was very poorly and got to the end of queue a little before his time.

• I have a badge bought from an online retailer - it reads:

NO CANCER CHAT TODAY PLEASE - I AM HAVING A DAY OFF!

Works well for me!!

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Cambrian,

I don't have a problem talking about my cancer situation, so I regularly say " Good days & bad days but getting older doesn't help though "  That generally does the job. 

Take care, Tom

• I don't mind either, but this question has always annoyed me, even before there was anything wrong with me, and it is always asked by total strangers who have no idea if I am OK or not.   I look OK and generally sound OK   .   I don't know why they can't confine themselves to Good morning/afternoon/evening, Hi, Howdy, Hello etc.   

• I think Prince Philip gave a wonderful response when asked this question - why, do I look ill?