MRI RESULTS

• 1 reply
  • 109 subscribers

Hi everyone 

Seasons Greetings.

Had bladder cancer 18 years ago which was treated successfully with cancer removal and BCG treatment. Very difficult time and only side effects were bladder shrinkage leading to above average  toilet visits but not debilitating.

During my last five annual checks the camera showed prostate enlargement which is not uncommon for a man in his late sixties. However, four weeks ago I noticed a change in my passing urine. Flow was very weak and visits increased.i decided to wait a week to see if maybe I had an infection, no changes.I called the surgery and explained the symptoms and maybe my prostate has further enlarged. Doctor will call you next week she replied. 

In the meantime my Wife suggested going tea, coffee and coke decaf for the week. Lo and behold, back to normal. Doctor called me I explained everything and he said ok let’s leave well alone for now, until I explained that in the morning I’m two or three times to he toilet in an hour. That changed his mind and probably my life!!

Blood test psa was 3.6, rectal examination resulted in a firm right side of prostate. Following week MRI showed highly suspicious 14mm are on right side of prostate with SEEMINGLY no spread to lymph or bone. Waiting on biopsy date. 

Trying to stay positive. 

Bob

• Good morning Bobfifer.

Seasons Greetings to you and yours and a very warm welcome to the family.

Brian our Community Champion has already given you some good information and you have now given us good background. You have already beaten one form of cancer into submission and you are unfortunately going to have to do it again. That fighting spirit is going to serve you well. From what you have said you have two things to your advantage. Firstly, at 3.9 your PSA is within the normal range for a man of your age. Secondly, you have been monitored on an annual basis so if it does turn out to be cancer it has been caught early and will be easier to deal with. Prostate cancer is normally slow growing and very treatable with a high cure rate when caught early. It sounds as if you have a supportive wife and this journey is very much a couples disease. She is probably experiencing all the same fears and emotions as you so make sure that she also gets support if she needs it.

Try and put this out of your mind - easier said than done - enjoy the festivities and go into the new year determined to fight whatever is thrown at you. You can then come back and get help with the biopsy and the next steps if you want. Ask any questions no matter how small or silly you may think them as we have all done so in the past. As Brian says it is Our Community who have been there, done that and worn the T-shirt.