Active Surveillance and PSA updates

• 5 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hello all. 

The people in this forum were incredibly supportive and helpful to me when I was first advised that it seemed that I had prostate cancer. I wanted to give a little update and share some tidbits that may be of benefit to you.

Because my PSA was about 5.62 in May 2022, I was advised to have a prostate biopsy. In July 2022 I had samples of my prostate taken and, yes, there was an indication of cancer, although not high (but high enough to concern me). 

After the biopsy, the PSA fell to 4.45 by November 2022. My doctor said that the biopsy itself may have created a situation where the body was attacking the cancer cells in an attempt to heal the biopsy site. This seemed miraculous to me, but I wasn't going to argue. 

After that I have been tested every 3 months or so by the top urologist at one of the major hospitals in Tokyo (where I live; yes, I know this community is mainly for the UK, but the people here were warm and welcoming, unlike other sites I had visited). It has been a year now, and as of yesterday, my PSA has dropped to 4.01, which is lower than it was 3 years ago. This is astonishing to me, and my urologist was quite happy. He said it was like "magic." 

He had advised me (as perhaps your doctors have advised you) not to ride a bike or ejaculate for two weeks prior to our visit (blood sample/urine sample/test results). He had also advised me not to take antihistamines, which I had been taking regularly for a skin condition. I had actually forgotten that advice, but in fact I had stopped taking them on a regular basis. 

The urologist seemed to think that that may have helped somewhat, and he also seemed to think that the tumor (which was as small as pencil's eraser) had hardly grown at all, but we agreed that we would do an ultrasound next year. 

I am, of course, happy that the PSA dropped over a full point, and I'm also not entirely clear how very important this PSA reading is. In other words: does the score really dictate a life or death situation? I guess so. My doctor was happy, so, obviously, I was, too. 

I will be 70 next February. I hope I can maintain good health and a lowish PSA score until the day I die, but at this point, each day is a surprise. 

Just wanted to share the bike/ejaculation/antihistamine notes, as I did follow them and... well, perhaps it made a difference? 

I wish all of you good health and support all of you on this journey. Thank you. 

• Hello Tatami53.

All updates and tidbits are welcome and I am glad that you have everything under control. Before contributing to this forum I also looked at the content of others which all have their own different styles. I thought that the people on this forum added a more personal and empathetic approach along with a good sense of humour at times as well as giving valuable information for which I thank them all. My husband and I are expats living in Greece which has no support systems such as Macmillan's so when we were given the diagnosis of T4 Grade Group 5 our world fell in and we didn't know where to go for advice. Our medical team is excellent and thankfully very proactive but understandably do not have time for all the niggling little questions which are so important. The personal experiences of the people on this site add the human face to the battle that we are all facing as they have been there, done that and worn the T-shirt. There are many inspirational people here who inspire us with their dogged determination to keep battling but are also there to help pick you up when things start wobbling a bit. Keep up the good work everyone as your contribution is invaluable to so many in your own unique style.

• Hello  

Well Tokyo is far more exotic than Oldham but it just shows wherever in the world you are this cancer can find you!

Thank you very much for your most enlightening and informative post. I am so pleased you are doing well and everything is fine - it's great to share our own personal experiences as we are all on a different journey trying to reach the same destination (Cured!).

The PSA is a great indicator of how things are doing but just sometimes I wish consultants would, where circumstances permit undertake a scan just to be "belt and braces" and ensure there is no spread.

Thank you for your post and please keep us updated with your journey - you are an inspiration.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Tatami.

Great that your active surveillance is going well. It's interesting to read about how things are done in Japan.

The advise given in the UK is to abstain for 48 hours before a PSA test. A big difference to 2 weeks. I will try it.

Did you make any changes to your lifestyle or diet after you were diagnosed and could that be why your PSA is going down? 

Best wishes

David

• Hi I have been on active surveillance for 3 years diagnosed aged 46  grade group 1 gleason 3+3. Psa tests were rising 3.6 at time of diagnosis then 4.1 4.5 4.7 5.1 5.1 mri only 1 since diagnosis said minimal change if any then mri in May again minimal change...  my nurse didn't advise me about bike riding or ejaculating since diagnosis in May I had a anxiety attack about waiting for mri results phoned prostate uk nurse she advised me not ride bike or ejculate before psa test so I decided to leave it 2weeks before test also spoke about POMI-T supplements I started taking supplements 1month before psa test..latest psa test Sept 2023 was 3.4 lowest ever been.. anyway very annoyed wasn't told about the does and don't before test as I am a enduro downhill mountain biker and ride bike almost daily??? My nurse also keeps telling me not to worry about psa it's hard not to worry about something that means so much to me all a bit grey and not very professional in my eyes. She keeps talking about treatment SURGERY not at my age I keep telling her... you can read a few posts I wrote on my icon ...not impressed by the quality of care ?? I think I should have been made aware of all this at diagnosis 3 years ago of I didn't phone prostate uk things for me might of been different I might of jumped to have surgery?so please all ask lots of questions to your team.....

• Hi Bassmaster

I have Gleason 3+3. I try not to get too stressed about it because it's a non agressive cancer and just something you need to keep an eye on. 

I'm a cyclist too but I do less since I had the biopsy because it left me with prostatitis.

All the best

David