Protein snacks

• 11 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hello Lovely men and women,

I’m looking for any recommendation for high protein snacks , savoury or sweet, not shop bought more recipes that you like or love.  Chicken things, Nut bars etc 
Just lately my OH has lost his appetite, he was like this before his diagnosis and lost a fair bit of weight as he just wasn’t hungry. He goes to a gym with cancer support and was advised to “shove” the protein down even if he’s not hungry, any tips or links to irresistibly yummy protein snacks greatly received 

Lxxx 

• Hi L.

This is an interesting question and something we can have fun with.

Don't just think about tasty snacks for adding protein. I add lentils into home made chicken soup. Porridge and home made muesli are boosted with Chia seeds and chopped up walnuts and almonds. Also adding a dollop of Greek yogurt to them boosts the protein and is good for the gut. I make my own bread as I have a problem with gluten but again fortify it with Chia and Sesame seeds. Instead of rice I use Quinoa as it is higher in protein and has more nutrients - don't forget to wash it well and if you cook it in a little stock cube it is very tasty with a nutty texture.

Our go to nutty bar recipe is:

150 g margarine or butter melted with 1 very large tbsp honey.

Add 0.5 cup each flour, dessicated coconut, chopped walnuts. Add 1 cup each of oats and mixed sultanas+ cranberries. Spice things up with a tablespoon each of cinnamon and ginger plus a couple of tbsp chia. I sometimes add a few glace cherries.

Mix well and put into a lined 7 inch square tin. Cook at 160C fan for 20 mins. Cut into 12 portions and cool. Just stand back and wait for them to disappear.

• I will be round next time you make the nutty bar!!  Sunglasses

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• That looks amazing!!!!! I'm off to the supermarket now and heading for the pulse isle.  I just made some basic chia deserts with milk, seeds and maple syrup and I have blue berries and bananas to add in and now Ive read your list I will get some Greek yogurt for the top. Chicken soup and lentils will be fantastic for lunch and that opens up a whole load of hearty soups for winter.  As a rule my partner is a bit scared of anything that's not an obvious cake, but I shall do your "nutty bar" and let you know how it goes down.

Thank you xx

• Call for me on your way Brian 

• Hope you enjoy the nutty bars, the gooeyer the better and no sugar.

Quinoa can also be added to soups and acts as a natural thickening agent. Another good lunch time recipe is to soak either large or small haricot beans overnight then cooking in fresh water for 30 - 60 minutes until softened. Meanwhile sauté onions and garlic, then add a red pepper, tinned or fresh tomatoes, tomato puree, 1tbs Balsamic vinegar and sugar, a stock cube and chili flakes to taste. Simmer until soft then add the beans. In Greece the large beans are called Gigantes. I usually batch cook and portion up for the freezer as it takes quite a time to cook.

Enjoy.

• Hi BarryW, homemade flapjacks, 4oz unsalted butter, 4oz brown sugar, 4 fluid oz golden syrup melt in a bowl over a pan of boiling water, add your favourite museli "when it starts to get hard to coat the museli in the bowl" stop adding. you can add any extras you fancy at this stage except chocolate as it burns  put greaseproof paper in a shallow baking tray, pour in mix about 10cm deep, place in preheated oven gas mark 6 for 20 mins, score 10 mins after coming out of oven. good luck

• Just a warning for anyone on chemotherapy - only use yoghurt if you have denatured it first by gently heating to 72C for a few minutes. Also if you are looking for a natural way of helping with constipation then start eating a couple of kiwi fruit a day as they contain a substance called actinidin which acts as a natural probiotic - but be careful if you are on medication for high blood pressure or anticoagulants.Dizzy faceBeach

• Really good piece on Morning Live yesterday morning about different anticoagulants and the things you can and can't eat whilst on them.  Luckily I am on Apixaban (Eliquis) anticoagulant so no restrictions.  Thanks for the warning.

• Maybe the best thing is to eat a little and often rather than larger meals 3 times a day.  I do hope you can come up with something to help your OH eat.

• These nutty bars are a great success, he loves them ! So gorgeous . The flapjack recipe next xx