depression in cancer

• 5 replies
  • 113 subscribers

My husband is in the latter stages of metastatic prostate cancer and is becoming more depressed.  Its our last weeks/months together and I want to help him enjoy it.  Any suggestions as to what can help?

• Hello  

I have just read your post and am so sorry to hear of your circumstances. A few suggestions I can offer are:

* Maggies - Do you have a local Maggies centre near you you could both visit - they offer fantastic support in managing a situation like yours. To find your nearest - 0300 123 1801 or enquiries@maggiescentres.org or www.maggiescentres.org

* How about joining our Emotional support forum or our Carers only forum where you can post your question for ideas for suggestions to help. Just click on the links provided and once the page opens up, click on "join" on the black banner at the bottom of the page - you can then copy and paste your post or repost your question.

* Give our support line a call on 0808 808 00 00 (8am - 8pm 7 days a week) there are some fantastic people there who have access to many great ideas and resources and they will have some suggestions for you.

I hope this helps, if I can do anything else for you please feel free to come back to me.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Great advice Brian. Always on hand to offer help and support. You are a good man.Ok hand

• Hi,

Like Brian said Maggies are great , really caring and give great advice,

I just wanted to add when I was feeling really low I also called the Samaritans, they listen, which is something I needed at the time, they are there for anyone feeling depressed.

Best wishes

Tony

• Hi   Thanks for your post - I know you have had a few issues on your Prostate Cancer journey and I hope things have improved. Yes Samaritans are another fantastic helpline, for anyone in need their contact details are:

Telephone : 116 123.

Text - SHOUT to 85258.

E-mail jo@samaritans.org (replies could be a few days!).

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Spaniel

Although myself I’m not a Maggies visitor, they’re superb at what they do, seven and a half years I find it does get you down, things happening you have no control of. I always turn to my favourite thoughts, or watching my favourite tv shows or movies, this time of year is my favourite, I have umpteen appointments this month, but I always think of family how they are any positive thinking, reading the books I wrote for the tenth time, always giving a smile to my lovely wife, who has plenty going on beside my troubles. 
    To give you the best advice have a McMillan nurse pay a visit, really charming people who understand what he’s going through.

Hope you both get through the festive season all our thoughts go with you both.

Stay safe

Joe