Difference between curative RT and disease control RT

• 18 replies
  • 114 subscribers

Hi I wonder if anyone can tell me the difference between curative radiotherapy and disease control radiotherapy, the disease control radiotherapy consists of 20 doses to the prostate and seminal vesicles total 60 Gy, I’ve been on doctor google all day and can’t find any information? Thanks 

• I had 20 sessions of RT back in 2019 with the intention of being curative. Since finishing my three years of HT in 2021 my PSA has been stable at 0.2 so currently in remission. I don't think I can say I'm cured until at least 5 years post treatment.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Thanks for replying Seamus, did you have RT to just your prostate? 

• Hi CN

I thought control was where cancer had spread to the bones etc and more for pain control.

But if only in vesicles then potentially still curable and 20 sessions sounds like treating it to cure.

I could be wrong but would check it out.

I presume u are T3a

Steve

• Hello  

I have to agree with  . I had 20 doses of Radiotherapy to the Prostate and Pelvic Lymph Nodes "with the intention of being curative".

I think you will find in some other cancers smaller doses (5?) are given for "pain relief" but I have never heard the term "disease control radiotherapy".

My views (and these are my personal views!) on "Dr Google" are well known - stay away - use trusted sites for your information, in the UK - MacMillan Cancer Support and Prostate Cancer UK.

Best wishes - Brian

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

1. Hi Steve, yes I’m T3a but Gleason 9, initially had 2 grey area’s suspicion of mets but after several scans I was told that they where benign which was a relief but my oncologist says I have a good chance of having micro mets because my psa was over 200. He decided to hit it hard with the triplet therapy psa now 0.05, he then said he was going to do RT to my prostate only and seminal vesicles as I was N0, he also said because of the micro mets I could be on hormone treatment for life. The thing is I don’t think the RT I’m having is any different to a curative one? 
  • I think your last sentence is right.

That's what it sounds like.

I get the feeling that fingers crossed no micro Mets, 

Let's hope your 20 sessions does the trick, 

Good luck

Steve

• I kick myself every time I start Googling it’s a doom loop I know. Disease control was on my RT consent form along with curative and adjuvant, and I only noticed it today although I’m on my 4th day of treatment. 

• Yes fingers crossed the triplet therapy has got any stray mets. 

• Hello   I wish you well with your treatment, with what you are going through 20 days on "the Sunbed" should be a walk in the park.

Just as an aside I am Gleason 9 (5+4) T3a N0 M0 Initial PSA 182 - Urology thought the little blighters had gone "walkabout" oncology said no and "zapped" my lymph nodes just in case. you can read my journey by clicking on the icon of the beach next to my name.

Best wishes with your PC journey - keep us posted - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Yes, it was only the Prostate. Like Brian, I was Gleason 9 ,T3A N0 M0 but with a PSA of only 15. Some of the more aggressive cancers don't produce as much PSA as other less aggressive ones.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)