SABR Prostate Radiotherapy over 5 sessions

• 7 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hello, I have recently finished the above treatment (4 days ago) and whilst I appreciate its early days, I am having almost no sleep due to waking up regularly to pee.

This is brings on the urgent need to move my bowel - even though this doesn't happen for the majority of the time. When this happens I cannot urinate and can only relieve my self about ten minutes after when things have settled, but leaves me wide awake.

The link between urinating and straining  to move my bowel happens during the day also, but is manageable as I am at home.

I want to know if this will settle down, and if so, over what timescale?

I am desperate for a good nights sleep so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• Hi R

I had the 20 sessions of RT and had similar problems.

Lasted for 4 weeks starting midway thru

Obviously u can get meds for constipation and think a prescription for the urinary issue, suggest u see your GP.

But things will get better.

Steve 

• Hello  . A warm welcome to our little "club".

In all honesty I can't answer your question as I had the old "standard" 20 fractions of Radiotherapy, however I was told if there was any reaction to the treatment - as there has been in your case contact the Radiologists for advice.

I think with the "issues" you have - I would go back to either the Radiologists or your Oncology consultant to seek advice failing that a visit to your GP or local walk in unit.

I hope this helps - Keep us posted as to the results please.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thank you Steve,

Just to be clear were you experiencing the same issues in relation to urination and bowel movements specifically?

I adopted a vegetarian diet mostly so I am not constipated but unable to recognise the real bowel movement from the pee related urges.

Thanks for getting in touch its really appreciated

R

• Hi Millibob

So good of you to reply. I spoke to the nurse at the hospital on Monday and she said it was normal but I'm not sure if she understood what I was saying.

Thanks again
    R

• Yes, severe constipation and difficulty urinating both together, only because of the RT

Steve 

• Hi restless, unfortunately your bladder and bowels have had a rough time and are very sensitive and easy to irritate. they will need a little time to settle down.I think nearly everyone goes through something similar. The guys are right go and get some advice, from my experience i drank 5 pints a day mostly water and the occasional decaf tea and last drink 3 hours before bedtime. definitely no fizzy drinks alcohol or caffeine. As for bowels my cancer was a little different but i found yoghurt, bananas "which also reduced gas" and lots of veg worked for me. You are going to have to be patient but  not regarding seeing one of your healthcare team they will be able to give much better advice as they know your situation. take care

• Hi Eddiel

Thanks for you response. Its reassuring to me that others have experienced the same issues and that time and patience seem to be the best advice to receive.

Thankyou

R