Now What

• 8 replies
  • 112 subscribers

After my radiotherapy treatment iam now left to wonder where do I go now I should be more grateful as things with my cancer are looking good I hope. But the consequences iam left with are no money no job and the feeling of who and what I am.

Good luck to all that are still in this battle of mental confusion and pain what a horrible journey it is 

• Hello  

I am so sorry to read your post. The RT will have sorted your cancer out and I hope you can go onto a new and healthy life knowing you have "Won".

Regarding the emotional and practical side of things, money etc - I know things can be tough. My personal advice to you would be to call our wonderful team on 0808 808 00 00 where they can point you in the right direction with financial help.

If you want to have chat with our team they are available 8.00am to 8pm 7 days a week.

I hope this helps - if I can do anything further for you please let me know.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello , I think the end of radiotherapy is very much a 'now what?' moment. You have all the appointments leading up to and during it and then , suddenly - nothing! Just 'go away and get on with life'. But our lives and old certainties have changed for ever by the whole experience! For you, it sounds very much as if you lost your job as well. Brian has given you some very useful contact details but I guess you might also need to call on Government agencies for things that might help - Job Centre, benefits advice, citizens advice etc?

I do hope that you can get the advice and support that you need to get you 'back on track again'. Just a word of caution, though, it has taken my husband several months to fully recover from the RT. We asked the prostate cancer nurse about this and she says it can take up to 6 months and even up to a year. So, please look after yourself!

Let us know how it goes!

• If you have a Maggies Cancer Centre near you please go to them and ask for benefits advice - they usually have someone there who will give advice and help with form filling and also counselling and a back to Health and fitness after Prostate Cancer Treatment course there  etc.  If there isn't a Maggie's centre have a look at other Cancer Help Charities such as Tenovus both Tenovus and Maggies helped me a lot during my journey. 

All the best.

• Husband just got the all clear, bloods down to 0.2, 20 days RT finished in June. We were so anxious to hear the results this week & both feel very odd, should be shouting from the rooftops but feel quite down. Wonder if this is a reaction to the last 10 months, that you get yourself so focussed on treatment and now we need to readjust?? We too feel we should be more grateful??
  • Hi Simhur

I think very normal, I felt grim for months after RT finished but it does get better over time, quite a long time, could be worth considering some councelling, that can Def help. 

Think it's to do with so much going on during diagnosis with test etc and then treatment that u forget about your feelings, then it hits u when all over.

Good news about the PSA result 

Best wishes

Steve 

• Hello Should I give up.

I finished my 20 sessions of RT in March with a PSA down to 0.28.

Since then I haven't seen or heard from oncology and started down a dark path of not knowing what's next.

Millibob has been great at reassuring me that this is usually what happens and kept that light at the end of the tunnel.

I had my 6 month post RT PSA yesterday and that is now 0.06 so everything looks good.

As others have said get some advice about money/benefits. I had help from my local Macmillan Cancer support centre. They explained whatight be available and helped with form filling etc.

All the best on your journey,

Regards

Peter 

• Hello  

It's a strange time to be in - RT's completed and you go from having appointments and meetings almost everyday to - BANG - you are in the wilderness - almost on your own. This was the same for me - if you click on the icon of the beach you can read my journey through this cancer and after RT I had just the same reaction.

Don't worry you are NORMAL and it's a reaction we all go through - take it from me it's time to celebrate.

Best wishes and congratulations on his results.

Brian Thumbsup

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.