Week 2 Radiotherapy - constipation advice

• 28 replies
  • 116 subscribers

Dear all 

Following radical Prostatectomy for T3 Gleason 7 in 2021, we found out that my dear husband (aged 49)’s cancer has come back, so salvage RT to whole pelvis (prostate bed and nodes)  is treatment plan.

we thought that -  compared with surgery -  RT would be quite straightforward. Just  lie on the bed and let the radiologist zap the cancer (we thought).  How wrong we were!

I’m sure RT is straightforward in other parts of the body  but what we’ve learned so far (week2) is just how much the patient has to do to ‘prepare’ everyday to be in the ‘right condition’ for successful treatment of pelvic region.  In short, the radiographers want my dear husband to turn up to hospital at 08.30 every day with a **completely empty bowel** and full bladder.  This is not easy! 

We are currently in week 2 (of 7 week RT) and really struggling with getting his bowels to ‘comply’!  

For 25 years we have normally eaten a ***high fibre*** ‘superfood’ diet full of leafy veg, nuts, legumes, lentils, brown rice, fruit and oats. 

When he started RT last week the nurses  presented him with a Low Residue/ LOW fibre diet sheet  - basically white bread, white rice, white pasta etc.  I’m other words… food that is guaranteed  to give you constipation if you are not used to it and have been used to lots of fibre for years. 

As a consequence my poor husband has been getting up at 5am trying everything imaginable to empty his bowels,  but still no joy!  The nurses have instructed him to take peppermint oil before each meal, dulcolax  and suppositories in morning. He’s been trying sit ups, strong coffee first thing, but every day we arrive at hospital (they give him and enema) and still there is too much either solid matter or wind in bowel

has anyone else had such a difficult time with constipation at start of RT and how did you resolve it!?  Any tips?!

we have heard it gets easier!!! And as treatment progresses it is more likely the challenge will be diarrhoea and loose bowel rather than the current log jam! 

Many thanks in advance

devoted wife

‘wiggers’ 

• Hi

I’m in a similar position Radical Prostatectomy in February, and about to start RT on Tuesday. I’ve asked repeatedly about diet and have been advised to carry on with my normal diet until something makes that difficult. I’d read about the “white food / low fibre / no stimulants” requirements but have been advised that I can just carry on as I am. 

They did, however, give me some micro-enema doses to take home, with instructions that I should use one two hours before the appointment … then empty my bowels and bladder once they take effect. I then have to drink 400ml water and hold this until the RT session.

Since my RP this part isn’t too bad, as I have the vaguest of signals that I have a full bladder nowadays, and with no prostate, it seems to be able to stretch out much more.

My friends who’ve been through RT say it does get a lot easier (although they all seem to have had 20 fractions compared the the 37 I’m having). We’ll see. 

Anyway, I hope your husband does find it gets easier, and that the final outcome is what I’m sure you both want. Any hints or tips from anyone who’s has a RP and also RT are welcome though. 

• Every hospital seems to have a different way of doing this.  At one hospital I was told I would be put on a low residue diet but at the one I eventually went to they gave me a mini enema to use before every Rt session for the first two weeks - after that every thing was fine until the very  last session when I had trapped wind and eventually was sent out to do some yoga moves in the waiting room.  Down ward dog is fine for this!  It just meant arriving at the hospital about a half hour before the RT session having drunk my water on the way and then get the enema done and try not to pass urine until right after the RT session.  Sorry to hear hubby is having such a hard time with this.

• Hi W

I used the enemas which did seem to be the best way although obviously a sensible diet helps.

I used the enema at about 5.30 am and my appointment was 8 am.

So it worked.out ok.

All the best

Steve 

• You could give Lactulose a go. Its pretty benign stuff which just helps the gut absorb more fluid. Available over the counter with no prescription.

Rob

• Hi Wigers

Welcome to the club.

Sorry to hear of your issues with the old bowls. As others have said during my radiotherapy - empty bowls - here's a box of "micro-enemas". Just do one a couple of hours before your session. Surely they provide them?

I was told a diet to avoid "wind" no beans, pulses, fizzy drinks, green leaf veg etc but surely they should provide the micro enemas? (They worked for me every time if you don't mind me saying so!).

I hope this helps - good luck and best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thank you all for kindly taking the trouble to reply. Thanks for all the helpful tips & kind sentiments of solidarity!  We will ask the nurses about micro enemas and explore lactulose. Thank you and best wishes to you all with *your* treatments. :-) 

• Hi Wiggers

You OH is unlucky, the RT team told us 80% get diarrhoea - hence the advice to eat only low fibre foods. That said, one or 2 in my cohort did suffer constipation. The RT team were helpful and sorted the problem after a few sessions. Sounds like you have engaged with them so I'm sure things will sort themselves out. 

I , too normally, ate a high fibre diet before PC, but only had problems when I didn't follow the recommended low fibre diet. 

Fingers crossed its sorted soon as, once it is, RT really is a doddle ( in my experience)

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • I must be one of the 80% as for the last two Mondays I have had diarrhoea.  When I mentioned it after the first time I was advised to try Imodium (don't want to be accused of promotion so other similar acting medications are available) & keep them updated as to how things go.  Luckily, one tablet each time seems to sort it so fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Funnily enough, I haven't been given any dietary advice, so have more or less eating my normal diet but have excluded the items Millibob mentions in his post.  Can certainly recommend the micro enemas as helping clear the pipes Wink

• Hi Buzzers

I sailed through my 20 sessions but was amazed at the number of men who:

*Went in to have possibly their first session on the "sunbed" who emerged a couple of minuets later clutching a "mini enema" and wandered off  to the toilet looking "sheepish".

*Came out after a couple of minuets and told to have a walk round for 20 minuets to "get rid of the wind".

I asked the radiographers how they knew and it's the first rotation of the sunbed kit which is a positioning scan but if there's an issue and you aren't set up right they know about it!!

Best wishes for the rest of your fractions - you can't have many to go now. - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• 6 more to go & counting down Grinning.  I did struggle with one fraction when my bladder wasn't full enough - after some extra water & another 30 minutes, it was touch & go whether I would last out.  I must have broken records dashing to the loo after that session!