Catheter practicalities

• 14 replies
  • 114 subscribers

Hi,

Husband still waiting for a date for surgery but hopefully soon.  He’s starting to think about all the little details and practicalities so I thought I’d come on here as this is the place with the most experience.

Sleeping with a catheter in (hopefully only for 7-14 days): do you tend to need to sleep on your back or can you sleep on your side?  If on your side presumably you can only turn on the side which means you’re facing the edge of the bed or the catheter will have to go up hill?  

And during the day do you need loose pants to give the catheter space, or does anything go - within reason!?

Any words of advice welcome (but not urgent).

• I had a catheter for 17 weeks from diagnosis to 10 days after my op. I slept on my right side ( the usual one) for the duration. Didn't seem to need or want to change side during that time (I think the brain does its job). I got very frustrated that I couldn't wear shorts (the warm Spring last year) but I wore trousers/jeans that didn't show the bag (that's not too difficult) and I wasn't conscious of it being seen at work (teaching). I did have 1 unfortunate accident when the valve came loose and wet my trouser leg but I wasn't at work. I was glad to be rid of it after all that time and the insertion of a new catheter (every 6 weeks) didn't get any less comfortable but you should avoid that and only need 1 'in and out' for such a short time. I had no urinary tract infection in all that time. Good luck. You'll be fine.

• Hi Mainly a Mum

I had an indwelling catheter for over 10 months. I will admit it's becomes easier but it's a shock to start with.

* You have a half litre bag for the day. At night when you go to bed you change this to a 2 litre bag and this sits on a night stand. (Add bulldog clips to it to stop it falling off during the night with an alarming thud).

* In my cast the pipework let me sleep on either side or my back at night so no problem.

* My normal trousers hid the catheter well - being a long term user I had the choice of bags - above the knee or below the knee.

* Make sure there are always 2 leg straps on  -  never just one - and not too lose.

* Ensure both straps are behind the pipework not over it.

* The inlet for the bag should always be below the bottom of the penis.

* Finally - and important. Everyday roll back the foreskin (if he's got one!) and with boiled water that is now cool enough wash around the whole area where the pipe enters the penis - there will be debris believe me!  By doing this for 10 months I never got a UTI!!

Anything else, feel free to ask.

Best wishes (and god luck),

Brian

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks for that, I’ve passed on all the info.

• The question about pants referred to underpants, not trousers.  When the catheter is in would you wear any, and more like loose boxers?  
  • My husband is 12 weeks post prostatectomy. He tended to sleep on his back to avoid putting his weight on the bag. He had sleep apnoea so he had extra pipes to contend with because he uses CPAP machine. For the first 6 nights he also still had a wound drain in situ so 3 lots of tubes/pipes to get tangled/compressed.

At night he had a night bag that attached to the output tube at the bottom of the day bag. As the hospital didn't provide a night stand to keep it off the floor I improvised by putting the night bag inside the strong carrier bag that his spare bags came in. I then hung this on the bottom end of bed frame and it worked a dream. Just remember to turn the tap on at the bottom of the day bag and the tap off at the bottom of the night bag. I forgot both, fortunately on different occasions and that carrier bag saved my bedroom floor and living room ceiling. 

Regarding pants as there was just the 2 of us my husband didn't wear anything. This was in part because his abdomen was bloated due to the gas used during surgery to inflate the area and give more room for the surgeon to work. It took some time for this to be released by passing wind, which is normal. He also found that every time he passed wind, coughed or moved suddenly he would leak urine, which again is normal and caused by a spasm. It was easier for him to sit on a disposable bed protector and use tissue to mop up. I also got him some disposable incontinence pants from Asda but they were of limited use because when he had a spasm it leaked down the outside of the tube and out of the leg of the pants. He also tried pads as well, but that pipe still leaked down one side of the pad.

My husband had the catheter for nearly 3 weeks because he had to wait for the drain to be removed before the 2 week countdown started, but it passed really quickly.

Another bit of advice is to stock up on maximum absorbancy incontinence pads or pants for when the catheter is removed. We were provided with free samples of tena shields by Prostate Cancer UK  and a years supply of the same by our local continence service, but these were not adequate for my husband. He has improved greatly in the 9 weeks since his catheter was removed, but the one time he's been out wearing just one of these shields didn't go well.He uses maximum absorbancy incontinence pants which are now more than adequate for his needs. I order these online from Incontinence Choice and they're cheaper than the asda ones and more effective. Buying them on a subscription makes them cheaper.

Your husband needs to start doing pelvic floor exercises now to strengthen the muscles before his surgery and start them again when the catheter is out as this will help him to get some control back. It's certainly made a difference to my husband, who has been helped by monthly visits to Physio.

I wish you and your husband well and if you have any questions I will try my best to answer 

• I wore normal, not loose, boxers. They were mainly fine. Very occasionally did they pull on where the catheter entered the penis but that was quickly solved. 

• I must confess I am a lose boxers man myself and there's plenty of room down there for everything. (on washing day our washing line looks like a galleon in full sail !!!JoyJoy.

Even with a pair of briefs or "normal" Y fronts, the pipe just comes from the penis down the leg hole in to the bag.

Some long term catheter users buy a "holster" (think John Wayne) to put the bag in for extra support (available from a famous online store named after a south American river!!).

I hope this helps.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi yes he can sleep on side ,he will have a night bag that sits in a frame on floor  so obviously must not lie on tube.i used loose pants  hope this helps and best of luck for your prostatectomy. 

Chippy 

• Try your best to get a valve fitted. Very discreet and one can urinate when one needs to, retaining bladder control.

Leg bags are hopeless.

Overnight use a night bag and stick it in an old washing up bowl or similar just in case of a leak.

Best wishes.

• After prostate surgery there isn’t any bladder control, just a constant flow for the 2 weeks or so that the catheter is in place. Not sure where the valve you mention would be fitted if indeed the NHS were prepared to do this for such a short time.

Relearning bladder control comes after the catheter is removed as that is in place while the join in the urethra heals.

• Everyday roll back the foreskin (if he's got one!) and with boiled water

I don't know why that made me think of this but Dad, an ex merchant seaman told a story of one of his single crew mates going ashore after some time at sea and finding some comfort with one of the local ladies 'of the night'. Concerned he might have caught something, asked the nearest they had to a Dr what he could do to reduce the risks and the advice was to wash the affected area with some mild antiseptic and soapy water.

What he didn't mean was go into the stores, prize the lid off a drum of concentrated disinfectant and use that neat ...