Diet advice please.

• 3 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Hi,

I'm looking for some dietary advice please. I'm pre diabetic been prescribed statins, the side effect of my meds include weight gain, what can I do to safely maintain a healthy weight? Ive tried going to a gym but I get to tired and my joints ache, anyone think of a way forward TIA.

• Hi Nige -I know just where you are coming from.

I am 6 months post RT and 20 months down the HT route and also Type 2 diabetic. The hormones have played havoc with my Hba1c (blood sugar count) and I have in the past 6 months put on 2 stone!! My medical team are aware of the situation and we (mainly me!!) have sorted the blood sugars out. 

As for the weight - it's now plateaued and with watching what I eat and drink - it's slowly going down. I don't fancy the gym and am still working and although I am office based I have two dogs and aim for 10000 steps a day.

I am aware from reading your "journey" you have had a tough time - much harder than me and you have my sympathy.  The combination of HT/RT just ages you and the fatigue / aches / pains just catches up with you along the way.

Keep you chin up and if you find a solution you know where I am!!

Best wishes

Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Half of the Quorn vegetarian range is cholesterol-free, and it's all low fat. I know of people who have lost weight switching from meat eating to Quorn. You'd need to check on the packaging/supermarket site which Quorn products are the ones containing eggs.

You could consider an experiment with veganism for a while, but as you're diabetic I'd suggest running that past your GP first. I was veggie and switched to vegan recently, I only had to switch to Vitalite spread, Cathedral City's new plant-based cheddar cheese, plant-based yogurt and oat or almond milk to cut out dairy.

• Thanks for that Milibob, appreciated.