Clinical trials

• 7 replies
  • 111 subscribers

I’ve been referred to the Royal Marsden with a view to joining a clinical trial for prostate cancer. Anyone out ther had experience of this?  I must say I’m somewhat worried as it is a new pathway for me

• I have little experience of clinical trials and none at all of these with prostate cancer. Often, in a clinical trial you will perhaps find that there will be two ( if not more) groups with one group being given a trial treatment and the other not. You most likely will not know to which group you will be assigned ie the trial is ‘blind or double blind’. The Royal Marsden is highly respected for its cancer work. All trials are strictly monitored etc and you will be given all the information possible before being enrolled. Good luck with it and I will be interested to hear how it goes and what it involves.

• Thanks. Will keep you posted

• Hi

Suppose depends what the clinical trial is/involves and also what your situation is regarding spread/stats etc.

Regards

Steve 

• I have recently been diagnosed and have been asked if I would like to take part in a clinical trial. It is called PART. Partial Prostate Ablation versus radical treatment. Partial Ablation only treats one side of the prostate with high intensity Focused ultra sound and irreversible electoporation. These treatments give most fewer side effects than the radical treatments. The study aims to have 800 affected men throughout the UK to take part. It is a randomised study so you may be picked fir the Partial Ablation or the radical treatments. I have been asked to consider taking part although I have Intermediate risk cancer. I am a little confused why, as the study should only be for low risk cancer. I am still unsure which treatment would be best for me. I have an appointment to see a radiologist and another to see a consultant running this study. 
  • My advice would be to find out as much as you can about all therapies - side effects, success rates etc and to chose the route that feels best for yourself. Yes, there is the thought that by taking part in the trial you might be helping the male population as a whole but this is your body and you will have to put up with the results of whichever route you take. I would also write down all the questions you have and take the list with you to your appointment - especially the question you post here about you being ‘intermediate’. Best of luck

• All depends on what the trial involves.

I’m on a post surgery trial which involves taking an aspirin (or placebo - it’s a randomised trial so nobody knows which) daily, as the belief is it prevents a biochemical recurrence. When I was offered the option to go on it, I was told not only of all the other benefits of taking a daily aspirin but also that I would have full regular blood screening.

It was an absolute no brainier to agree to it for me. 

• Suppose depends on your stats to begin with.

I thought it was called PARP not PART but could be something else

Steve