Query about skin care during sunny weather

• 12 replies
  • 113 subscribers

Back in September I underwent 20 daily courses of radiotherapy for prostate cancer and that's been followed by three-monthly injections of Prostap 3 DCS hormone treatment which will continue for about another year.

Now, somewhere in the welter of very useful and informative paperwork that I was flooded with, prior to and during my treatment, I seem to remember a note to the effect that I should take extra care in strong sunshine.  I presume that my skin is more sensitive while I'm undergoing the hormone treatment but I really can't remember (or find) the detail of the advisory note.

Please therefore can someone confirm my thoughts and provide some details about summer skin care - for both me and for all those who who have ongoing treatments.

Or - can someone tell me that I'm wrong and can sunbathe to my heart's content!

• Hi Souwesterly - That's quite an interesting question and for one I don't know the answer, HOWEVER, I am aware that the hormone treatment which has given me a nice set of boobs and hot flushes (thanks NHS) has also affected my skin. So much so that I now need to moisturise every day to stop the itching and keep my skin soft.

In view of the above, I would suggest it's common sense to keep out of the direct sun and ensure you are coated with a decent amount of sun cream any way.

(reading your journey notes you have no time to be sun bathing you have a garden to sort out !! No doubt Angie will have her say on the matter!!)SunglassesSunglasses.

Kind Regards - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi

I seem to recall, I was advised to keep the area being irradiated protected from the sun. But this was whilst undergoing RT and for a short period after. I don't remember any similar advice for when I was on HT.

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi 

Being a bit of a sun worshipper, even in Salford, I like to sit out there for a while, having said that I use the highest protection sun screen factor 30 I can get and if I stay out a while I put more on a second dose.

As long as your careful you should be fine.

Stay safe

Joe

• Stay safe?  Me? LOL

Actually for the past week (or ever since the sun made a 'proper' appearance, I've been out in the garden in shorts and shoes only working hard to equip a shed with accommodation for our herd of tortoises.

But not one thought of sun cream or anything because I don't tend to burn but tan easily instead.  Anyway, it's not summer yet.

So it was only when our daughter commented that I'd "caught the sun nicely" that I even thought about taking care while being treated.

But of course I'm careful.  I've got a circuit breaker between my power tools and the mains and I drink plenty (squash actually!) to keep hydrated - so there!

Cheers,

Chris

I take my wife everywhere, but she keeps finding her way back.

• Good afternoon Brian,

Love your sense of humour - I've yet to grow my boobs but the hot flushes certainly save on heating bills.   Strangely I've been having loads of them recently (compared with just the occasional one here and there) - I counted 11 yesterday alone.

But you forgot to mention the benefits of hormone treatment...  I wet shave and the throw-away razors last so much longer now.  My whiskers come off so easily especially compared with the good old days when each bristle had to be sawn off, resulting in numerous nicks, of course.

And I'm not sure if its a benefit or not, but having no under-arm hairs stops the sweat from building up - and my almost hairless legs are much nicer to spread my moisturiser on.   If I shut my eyes when I'm moisturising I can imagine I'm stroking some delicious young creature...ahhh, no I can't; it's definitely just wishful thinking!

I hadn't thought that the treatment was drying my skin - shows how much time I spent reading the advisory notes we were given!) but I guess it does.  So I too moisten every day - Doublebase stuff that the doctor prescribed for my deceased father-in-law.

And after all that - no, you're right, I don't have time for actual sunbathing and quite honestly, I actually hate just lying there soaking up the sun.  Much rather have something to do, even on the beach.

Ok - dinnertime.  I've made a nice (well, I hope it is) quiche with some salady bits and pieces.

And yes, I'm chief cook and bottle washer too!

Bye for now,

Cheers,

Chris

• Brilliant Chris!  Everything has a silver lining.  I actually grew more hair on my head whilst on hormone treatment.  Unfortunately it didn't stay there once the hormone treatment was stopped.  It was nice while it was there though as my bald patch has been there since my thirties.

• Oh no - that's a pain!  And what a horrible thought that my hair might grow even more than it does!  My hair grows quite fast enough as it is - I'll be looking like the 1960s hippy I once was!

And actually I now cut my hair myself.  Not all that good at it although if I give myself a No. 4 cut with shorter tapering  at the back and sides it looks ok.  Came from the lockdown days of Covid so I've been doing it for about three years now.  My wife offered to help but I don't trust her with the electric clippers!!

Cheers,

Chris

• Hi Chris - We both have the right attitude - we are on a journey we didn't want but whilst we are going there we might as well make the most of it!!.

It's a serious cancer but a little bit of humour I find can lighten what could be a very depressing time.

You take care and keep your attitude up - it's the best way to go about it.

Kind Regards - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• Hi again Brian,

Couldn't agree more - smile and the world smiles with you; cry and you cry alone.

I honestly feel so sorry to those people who can't raise a smile, although I would utterly agree that some people really don't have much to smile about.  But smiling does more than make you appear to be slightly mad - it makes others smile too and strangely it often actually makes you feel a bit better.  But you knew that!

But to bring a smile to everyone's face just for a moment - read this tale.

I actually remember smiling, perhaps too broadly (having just been told a joke) when I was about to appear before a judge in matters relating to my non-support for my ex-wife and child.  The judge actually asked me what I was smiling about, so I told him the joke...and that raised a laugh all around the court.  And then the judge turned back to me and said something like "You've brought a ray of brightness to our proceedings" - then he looked at his notes; then turned and talked to a member of the bench quietly, before turning back to me. "And perhaps we can give you some brightness back.  Come and see me after this session is over and we'll discuss your case."

And that's how it came about that I ended up paying 1d a year child maintenance to my cheating ex-wife!

Happened back in 1973 or thereabouts.

That'll do for now.

All the best everyone!

Chris

• Hi Chris - You are spot on there. I go through life with a very positive, happy and jovial outlook and find that others around me follow in my footsteps.

When I received my diagnosis - January 2022 - it took a few days to sink in - and then I thought I am going to fight this and win - my own outlook on life changed too. I took a step back from work (Self Employed) took on another employee and found more time for me and the family - I am now enjoying life to the full - it's great.

As I write this I am on our 3rd holiday this year - looking out over mid-Wales from a fantastic holiday cottage. Yesterday we walked for miles and you know I feel fitter and better all round than before I had the cancer diagnosis. I know this sounds daft but the actual diagnosis has been a "wake up call" for me and I have realised working all the time - isn't the do all and end all.

You take care - keep out of the sun!

Kind Regards - Brian

Community Champion badge