Is this fatigue?

• 13 replies
  • 116 subscribers

Age 66 and .. not unfit butnot proper fit either.. I can usually do a 3 mile walk in 50 minutes which includes a long hill...  Couple of times a week and on other days 35 incline press ups in front of kitchen sink

however today and last time I went for a walk I havent made it (cut it short and headed home) .. My chest and throat feels like its burning and I am just knackered for want of a better word

is this related to hormone treatment.. i thought fatigue = tired.... I am due my 2nd 3mth jab next week.  

• Hello whatsisname. Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you will find this one better than the last.

I am sorry to hear of your journey so far but at least you have started your treatment.

Yes, homone tablets and injections are to reduce testosterone levels as you said... And these can cause fatigue /tiredness. 

I too used to be quite fit; cycling 30 miles a day pre-diagnosis, to getting knackered walking for ½ hour. Best thing is to try to do what you can but listen to your body.

There are plenty of people on this forum who can give fantastic advice and support and you can click on the icons to read their profiles. If you have any questions or concerns please ask and I am sure someone will get back to you.

Hopefully you will get all the treatment you need 

Good luck on your journey

Peter

• Hello what is name, fatigue is a side effect of hormone therapy but the fact that you say your chest and throat feel like they are burning is concerning me. Why not mention it to the surgery when you go for your injection or even sooner if it reoccurs or gets worse? Of course, you can also contact nhs111 - either by phone or online,

hth

• I know about fatigue to a certain point.. I know its a side effect of the hormone treatment ..But i was expecting tiredness.. falling asleep... not lack of hmm energy?/power?  whatever meaning i cant do a 3 mile walk ...  I didnt think that was fatigue but I could be mistaken so thought to ask...  

• Three years into hormones therapy, i sufffered fatigue gradually improving, might be worth checking b12, I get injection alongside hormone injection 

• Hi

You are experiencing exactly what I did - no strength, no stamina etc. I too struggled to walk a few miles but did just what I could or felt like. Don't beat yourself up too much as if will pass once you come off the HT. Whether it will come back as before I'm not sure about.

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • going to try a shorter flat route today then see what i can build up to.. also not set off on a  march like i usually do.. just a walk ..thanks.... got 2 yrs of HT after RT if success and forever if not ...erk ... we will see :) 

• Hi Watsisname, sorry to see you on this group but welcom, as the other guy's have said all the problems you experienceing are normal for HT, doing what your body tells you is the best way forward, it does get easier over time to do longer walks, i used to go to bed in the afternoon, now it's just an early night, if your really concerned then as oncology or Macmillan for advice.

• I would definitely mention this to your surgery as with the burning sensation in your chest it causes me concern.  I got fatigue but continued to do as much as I could - I may have done all my gym exercises slower and probably did fewer reps but continued to do them.  walking and swimming - it is important to continue exercising and walking out in the fresh air is brilliant.  I quite often used to fall asleep after lunch and then again fall asleep at about 8pm in the chair with TV on. 

All the best.

• I have figured it out from googling :)  I was told not to do exercise on an empty stomach and so I would have a pot of porridge (like a pot noodle but porridge)  and that worked great.. but recently ran out and had a sandwich instead (plus too close to starting the walk) ... lt would seem my problem was acid rising 

I have replenished the stock and back to porridge problem solved.... mind what you eat then :)

I am just not able to walk as far thats all.. quarter of what i used to do and I am shattered and aching 

• I've had second injection also find I tire very quickly but still working as a gardener and taking my dogs long walks.Ive learned to pace myself and not rush about as I used to.The joy's of HT and prostate cancer.Just hope we don't get worse when we start the radiotherapy therapy.Good luck in the future