Bladder Control

• 2 replies
  • 110 subscribers

I was diagnosed with Prostrate Cancer in January. I had my prostrate removed 8 weeks ago. I am generally dry when sitting down and totally try at night. However as soon as I start to walk about or do any activity I have no control at all. I have been doing my pelvic exercises religiously but have not seen any improvement at all. Is there any advice on how I can improve things.

• Hi. You are really in early days. Side effects from the op affect everyone differently. Some recover almost immediately but that can extend to over a year and for some they do not recover fully {there may be options if that is the case after a year). I had my op last September. I also was dry from the start when sitting and lying down. When standing, walking bending down, etc I initially had no control and was on about 4 pads a day. It was not until month 4 that things really started to improve. Since then I have improved considerably and am down to one pad a day and that is not fully sodden. I also still have good and bad days. So that is at month 6.5. The thing is for me, like many others, it has been a slow journey so far but I am now feeling more positive that things will improve further. I bought a plastic urine bottle at an early stage and used that as I stood up and before getting out of the car. I have done pelvic floor exercises since before my op. I did go mad with these initially, doing them every hour. My SCN told me that was far too much and I decreased then to her recommendations, three times a day (10 slow and 10 quick). That was just before things started to improve for me. I really don't know whether that did the trick. I have been walking every day when possible since op. I have also cut out caffiene and alcohol. I have monitored what I eat but have reached no firm conclusions as to whether food has any effect.  So my advice is to stay positive, try to keep to a healthy lifesytle, get use to the incontinence, try different pads (I have found Tena to be the best for me) and be prepared for a long haul but pray for a short haul.

• Thanks for the advice. I will try to be a bit more patient