Prostatectomy and sick leave

• 2 replies
  • 111 subscribers

I am on day 31 of counting down, to my Radical Prostatectomy at Addenbrook’s / Cambridge University Hospital. I’m doing okay with everything, my Pre-Op Assessment is in a couple of weeks time. As is a trip to MacMillan’s Prostate Cancer Support Group, evening meeting.  Then a few days later a Pre-Op, appointment with the Physio- Uro-Therapist. However, one question for those that have taken the surgical treatment journey, may I ask how much sick leave you where initially given? Was it enough, or did you need to extend it for the many reasons of side effects etc? I know as a patient, all our journeys, treatments and recovery differ, due to our age, health and diagnosis. I’m looking for a guesstimate of how soon I will bounce back to work. Guessing it’s a case of not too soon, not too late, but when it’s right. And obviously what we do for a living can reflect that time

• As you say Sandman everyone is different, much depends on the type of work you do. My job as high pressured and involved standing a lot so I was off for 3 months. I also didn’t always have access to a loo at times of the day. Fortunately my job allowed up to six months sick leave in a certain period but I was ok to go back after three months. Key things are not to lift anything heavy for quite a while. Although the surgery is laparoscopic your pelvic internals have been cut and moved around considerably. It is still major surgery.  Hope this helps and best wishes for the operation, hope it all goes to plan. 

Ido4

• Sandman,

I found it best to try and keep working as much as I could.  I do an admin job so no lifting or anything.

I was determined and by the end of the 4 weeks of Radiation treatment I was dead on my feet.  I only live about a 5 to 7 minute walk from work but it was taking about 30 minutes.

In the end I wasn't off work at all, which totally surprised me.  Took everything one day at a time, slowly.

My work has been good with all of my hospital appointments, I don't get paid, just the time off, sometimes putting a day's Holiday in here and there.

Counselling sessions at the end of my Radiation treatment helped me immensely, to the stage now I am a better person, much stronger mentally than ever.

Steve (SteveCam)