Long Term Digestion Issues After Pelvic Radiation

• 1 reply
  • 109 subscribers

After a radical prostatectomy, I began hormone therapy and then pelvic radiation. After 2 years of hormone therapy and 7 weeks of radiation therapy back in November - December 2019 I have a non-detectable PSA. Hopefully the cancer doesn't return but I am dealing with digestive and urinary side effects that are not improving. I use the bathroom atleast once an hour if not more. Each trip involves both urinating and defecation. Is anyone having similar issues? My urologist thinks the side effects should have improved by now. Next step is to make an appointment with a gastroenterologist. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

• Yes this can happen as a result of the inflammation in the bowel and bladder post radiotherapy and as you had had the prostate removed you were likely to have more damage to other areas from the radiotherapy as the prostate was not there to shield the other organs - but even so this collateral damage can occur with radiotherapy to the prostate as it all centres around where the tumour is so if it is near the bowel, bladder or anus the same side effects can and do occur.  I presume you have already had some treatment for this which along with the natural healing process and time should have sorted it (mostly) by now.  I got this about 4 months post radiotherapy after having a colonoscopy for another condition -  This actually started the evening after the colonoscopy so I think this aggravated the situation and maybe I should have held off with the colonoscopy for a few months.  I then had treatment for a few months which helped but didn't really clear it but then I contacted Macmillan and they suggested taking one immodium a day and 1 fybogel - I know it sounds odd to use fybogel but the fybogel actually bulks the faeces together so you do not defecate every time you urinate.  This along with the natural healing process worked for me and now only use the fubogel and immodium when I need to which is not very often.  this is not uncommon and a lot of the men I met at our Maggie's Centre Walnut Club complained of this at some stage.