PSA Levels and exercise bikes

• 11 replies
  • 114 subscribers

Hi,

I'm sure this has come up before, but I've forgotten the advice.

I had a prostatectomy in 2017 in connection with bladder cancer and incidental prostate cancer was discovered. Anyway, everything has been fine, so no issues, but I need a little advice. I use an exercise bike most days, but I'm due for a 6 monthly  scan and blood tests in two days (including psa).

Will using my bike raise PSA Levels? I remember reading that I should refrain for 24 hours before, but does it really matter? If I can't use my bike can still go out for a hike the day before?

Just to note that all my PSA tests have been way below .1.

• I have also been told to refrain from sex and cycling for at least 24 hours before a PSA test. Not having access to either it's not a problem for me.

Good luck with your test.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • "but does it really matter?"

It matters if you want an accurate and useful test result. Do you really want to risk a situation where your PSA is up a little, and you don't know whether it's a 'real' up, or an exercise bike up?

If you don't take the test seriously, why waste NHS resources at all?

Leave the bike for a day or two. Chances are it won't have any long term effects on your exercise regime.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Thanks 

It doesn't matter where you go, there you are
  • Not wasting the NHS's time and getting sound advice is exactly why I have made the post.

• I am a keen cyclist & lately had a prostatectomy last year and have always stayed off the bike for a couple of days before my PSA check just to be on the safe side.

• Agreed. I stay off my bike and the rower in the gym at least 2 days before a blood test. 

• Unsure to be honest, but, if your prostrate has been removed then cycling won’t affect it. Surely at our stage the psa is about prostrate cells elsewhere in the body! However advice seems reasonable one word two days off won’t harm just in case.  I don’t know about anyone else but I’m battling the bulge with hormone therapy so any exercise worth while 

• How long have you been on hormone therapy and what week did you start putting on weight?

• I would imagine that if you have had your prostate removed then this would not be a problem.  For my second PSA test post HT and radiotherapy ie 1 year after the cessation of treatment, I quite by accident forgot the "48 hour cycling ban" and it made no difference to my test thankfully and my PSA has stayed well below 1 for 5 years.  It was only a day or two after the test that my wife said to me you know you did the exercise bike the morning of your PSA test and we knew that if it appeared higher than we thought it should be another test would be on the cards and I was ready to tel the Doc that.  It was winter and I have an exercise bike set up in the garage for the days I can't get out to walk or cycle out of doors and usually go to the gym a few days a week too.  I use the exercise bicycle at home as it means I can concentrate on other areas in the gym - at the time I had knee problems and was waiting to see a consultant about getting a knee replacement so was trying my best to use resistance training to strengthen my legs before the operation.   Personally though I now remember not to cycle in the 48 hours before the test I don't think my wife would ever let me forget again!

• Like you, I'm erring on the side of caution, but not overly sure it makes a difference.