Recovery

• 1 reply
  • 110 subscribers

Hi everyone I just want to share something. Last year I had a heart attack followed by open heart surgery!

Then this year prostate cancer. 

So with a high psa I get given a choice

Surgery

Radio Therapy with hormone therapy 

Radioactive beads

So why choose surgery?

Firstly this is my experience and I appreciate we all are different!

My biggest surprise is no one fought my corner, I had experts all expressing their thoughts and this is when a reality hit me!

A surgeon always will want to cut!

An oncologist will always want to radiate.

So I started to realise unlike when a woman faces a hysterectomy she is appointed a person to represent her.

Yet I quickly realised I was on my own!

So I asked for statistics to demonstrate the best possible outcome and they were not available. At this point I realised there were some amazing consultants out there but they have an agenda and why not!

So I went for surgery with those questions as men we or at least I need to know! 

I did not want to be incontinent!

I still want sex!

Well it’s early and I’ve just had my catheter out!

The catheter was hard work and very unpleasant. From leaks to tugging at night! 

Well the catheter is now out and all the warnings of incontinence simply did not happen. I ordered every type of pad and settled on ASDA pads for men and y front pants were perfect to hold the pad in place. I just was petrified of peeing myself. 

The Journey from hospital after having the catheter required an emergency leak proof mug which saved the day. 

So the next big challenge is sex! I’ve been told it might take up to six months for things to come alive again. Anyway at the moment I feel I’ve made the right call. Peeing again and not dribbling. That is a huge change but you don’t get much warning when you need to go! I do have a daily pad in but thankfully there’s not been any accidents.

Hope this helps someone