Chemotherapy

• 6 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hi My husband is stage 4 prostrate cancer and having chemotherapy at present . It’s been a bit of a roller coaster as he had to stop for 7 weeks due to an infection . PSA has shot up during that time. He has been admitted 3 times with infections and low immunity . I am really pleased he is back on chemo but  I seem to dread the chemo coming around due to previous complications. Would be grateful for any input and advice .

• Roller coaster sums it up nicely, I'm afraid. The trick, if you can do it, is to make the best of the good times!

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Thank you, Heinous, That’s the best way to deal with it

• Hi Tenby 6

Thats the problem with chemo, it lowers your immunisation, it’s important to keep away from everyone, till the course finishes, I had sepsis after my third session, so it can happen to anyone and I’m ultra careful. You must already know taking his temperature is so important.

Not the greatest time to avoid people, but it’s in his best interest, just a question is he on hormone treatment as this keeps the PSA from rising it fights the cancer to. 
    Keep positive 

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi Joe, thanks for your reply . He had another chemo last week which after the break is the 7th. Yes I check his temperature especially as he has had sepsis twice . He is on Prostap injections  every 3 months . We are glad he is back on chemo but I find I really worry about the sepsis. Nothing I can do though only check his temp and act accordingly. How did your chemo go ?

• Hi Tenby 

At first my chemo hit me like a sledge hammer, full body sweats, hair loss, brown finger nails, metallic taste, everything you could catch on side effects I got, took months to go back to normal, but it did before I started with radiotherapy, which all bar one day went ok, five years down the line, after a colonoscopy I had radiation prostitis. Now I just do what I can when I can. Helping people like your husband on things to expect. As do a few others on here.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi Joe, chemotherapy is rarely straight forward from people I read about. I guess it’s to be expected with the nature of the drug and everyone reacts differently.  Thank you for your answers they are much appreciated. Wishing you all the best.

Tenby 6