External Beam Radiotherapy and Brachytherapy side effects

• 4 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hi. I am new to online discussions but have a question and thought that this community might be able to help me. I was diagnosed with Gleason 8 locally advanced Prostate Cancer 2 years ago and I finished Brachytherapy followed by 23 sessions of external beam radiotherapy back in January of this year. Now my flow of urine has been diminishing, I am only half emptying my bladder and it is often painful to pee. A registrar has told me that usually a TURP (prostate scrape) would be carried out but in my case (after treatment) it would result in total incontinence. His suggestion is self catheterisation which does not sound like fun so I wonder if anyone out there has any other options or suggestions that have worked for them (medical, diet, exercise or herbal?

Incidentally, I have cut out tea and coffee and am on Solofenicin, Tamsulosin and hormone therapy and try and run, walk or cycle most days.

I look forward to hearing from you if you think you can help or if I can help anyone who is about to go through what I have gone through.

• It can't hurt to try self-catheterisation, some people find it's not too much of a problem.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Hi Cycle.

Just out of interest is your hobby cycling by any chance? If so, it might be of benefit to take a break from that as it's well known for causing aggravation to the prostate. Finding another form of exercise might not be to your taste but might be worth a try.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Thank you. Yes my hobby is cycling. Interestingly, my urologist is also a keen cyclist and he confirmed that there was no issue with me cycling. In fact, when I cycle now, I find it eases the difficulty I have from passing urine. I would be keen to find more information on this if you have any references.

• Sorry, I don't have any references just that my oncologist told me that cycling will irritate the prostate and to avoid it if possible. He also told me to avoid sex and cycling for at least 24 hours before having a PSA test. As I don't have a bike it's not a problem for me!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)