Hesitation around good news

• 4 replies
  • 111 subscribers

I have had some good news from my oncologist who has told me my prostate cancer is now in remission. She will still be monitoring me and I will have another PSA blood test in September. I still have lymphoedema in my leg, though it is under control, I still have a tiny bit of occasional stress incotinence, and i still have ED. But I don't have cancer symptoms.

Some people might be jumping for joy at this point, but I am feeling very reluctant about sharing this good news. I have only told my immediate family who are all very happy, but for some reason the news has made me anxious. Perhaps I have read too many stories of prostate cancer coming back? I wonder if anyone else can understand my reluctance to celebrate right now, or has had similar feelings? 

• Hmmm. Good news indeed but I can empathise all too easily. 

I completed RT nearly 7 months ago but I feel a totally new attitude to life. Whilst before all this I felt I was immortal I now feel time is passing all too quickly - and lockdown isn't helping.

Maybe I will start looking forward to things again soon but at the moment I feel I am just treading wstervsnd time is passing.

As with you I wonder if others have gone through similar.

All the best anyway.

• Hi Angus 

I think that these  thoughts r quite normal after treatment finishes, I know I that I did suffer a lot, mainly anxiety, after RT.

It does get better over time and yes, the constant worry of PSa tests does not help.

You've been thru a lot, give yourself time, I'm sure u  will feel better soon 

Best wishes

Steve

• Sreve's right, you've been through a lot and it takes time to adjust. Everything seems raw at first, many of us don't feel there's anything at all to celebrate but given time you'll adjust and the worst feelings should fade. Getting through the first PSA tests successfully will help you to adapt too.

All the best, Derek.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.
  • I know how you feel. The word "remission" has a weird ring to it.

But i agree with others; you get used to it, and life goes on. In time, your enjoyment of living will overtake the apprehension. The trick is to get the perfect balance between enjoying life to the full while remaining that little bit alert for any warning signs your body chirps up with.

Remission is never cure. But I'll take it, thanks!

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.