Delayed operation

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Thank you both, I’m finding this site difficult to navigate. I tried to reply individually but there was no option to send. Advice on that would be welcome too. 

my details were a bit scant. I had a biopsy, which revealed a relatively inert cancer with a Gleason 6 3+3 rating. During active surveillance my PSA rose to 8.4, which prompted an MRI scan. The cancer had spread from one side to the other. It was/is contained inside the prostate.After discussing treatment options with the consultant, I opted for a prostatectomy. It was agreed that the operation would take place within two months of the MRI, this has now been put back to 7 months. The cancer nurse seemed pretty certain that the cancer would still be caught in time. As a precautionary measure I was prescribed 50mg of Bicalutamide to reduce testosterone, reduce my PSA and the further growth of the cancer. Does this make sense? I’m going slightly crazy trying to verify positive outcomes on the web. 

• Hi David 

This sounds ok, low Gleeson/PSA. MRI showing an enlargement. This is what happened to me over 4 years. Tumour started out 3mm and grew to 13mm over that period.

As long as the cancer is not about to break out from the capsule plus they r giving u the hormone treatment to keep it at bay then September should be ok, not long to go anyway.

It took 3 months for them to organise my treatment (RT) so waiting not a problem if non aggressive which it would appear yours is 

Good luck 

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Thank you Steve, that’s really reassuring. Cheers and I hope all goes well for you in the future.