Afterwards

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 111 subscribers

I was diagnosed in 2019, and had my prostate removed in August 2020. I was only 42. And due to covid 19, the company I work for had changed its sickness pay entitlement so I went back to work only  5 weeks after my op. I didn't want to or feel up to it but had to due to financial reasons. As time has gone, I think i have started to resent that and  started to feel depressed and anxious. Is this this normal to feel this way months after my op?? I look at my scars sometimes and dislike them a lot, I don't like the fact I can only have 'dry orgasms' now but I know that's a small price to pay for having the illness gone. Just seems like shit is gettin on top of me all of a sudden.  Man up! I know. Thumbsup tone1cheers. Moan over. 

The dry orgasms piss me off a bit as well but I still feel it's a small price to pay for having the tumour removed. You can still have fun and think of all the money you'll save at the laundrette.

• . “Man up” that says so much, you don’t need to man up, it’s understandable how you feel. Us men hide feelings and think we should be able to handle anything. Speak to your gp or Macmillan, I engaged with gp and hospital psychologist. It took me time to adjust, as I’m still on hormone injection I haven’t had an erection in two years, I’m now 52, I was 50 at diagnosis.

Dont man up, speak up instead

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

Thumbsup tone1Punch tone1

• I think that a lot of people suffer in this way after treatment.

I did have bad anxiety after my Radiotherapy finished in 2017.

Dry orgasms do take a bit of getting used to but I am ok with it now.

At your age of 42 obviously very young to get PC and that would probably make u feel worse.

You could try some counseling, it can help., hopefully over time u will feel better.

Best wishes

Steve

• You clearly have a pretty low mood - and that may or not be  'depressed' enough to benefit from treatment. But it might be, and you'd probably feel much better for discussing it with your doctor, anyway.

I'd avoid trying to link it to specific 'causes'; depression rises from within, and may be a general reaction to what life throws at us, or not specific to anything. But either way, best get it checked out.

It's all too easy to say 'man up', or 'look at the bright side, you're alive' - but that never really helps anyone.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Heinous

Cheers