Radium 223

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 108 subscribers

My husband has just had his first treatment of radium 223. He was previously on aberaterone but that only worked for a year. He has prostrate cancer metastasis in hips , ribs and spine. There was a two month gap between stopping aberaterone and starting radium because he had pneumonia. After first radium treatment his pain went through the roof, but we expected that. It settled back down for two or three days but is gradually building again. Also his mobility is getting really poor. He is extremely unsteady on his feet and now we have had to get a Walker for him. What I’m concerned about is spinal cord compression, how will I know if this is happening ?

I am his wife and main carer and to say that I’m stressed is an understatement !

• Hi

Sorry your stresses out, your like my wife who is also my carer, what have the hospital said ? Or even the doctors ? What is he taking for pain, maybe something can be given that’s stronger than what he is on.

Radium 223 is supposed to help strengthen the bones, I have the same type of metastatic as he does, I’ve been taking Alca d 3 it helps strengthen the bones, even if it’s a bit everything helps.

when was his last scan ? Push to have one done for peace of mind.

Try to be positive and get some answers, if they don’t tell you anything ask to speak to someone else, by law they have to inform you.

Stay safe

Joe

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to joeven

Hi thank you so much for taking the time to reply. He had scans only recently and were told that the tumours were growing. He is on MST and oramorph for pain. The thing that concerns me most is the deterioration in mobility. I worked in care for several years so I should be used to it but it’s a different kettle of fish when it’s someone close to you

• Hi

Believe me I know what your going through, living with my wife I can see how much the last five years have taken it’s toll on her. I know I have the disease but I try my best to keep a smile going ( there again, I’am a kid at heart ) just one last thing, have they said if he will get used to the medication after any amount of time ? Sorry plus radiotherapy was that not mentioned.

stay safe

Joe

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to joeven

To be honest, because it was his first radium 223 treatment I didn’t ask, should of done really. I read with interest about the alcad supplement but unfortunately he can’t have any vitamin c or d with this particular treatment. I must at it is nice to chat with someone that knows the score, so as to speak.

sheila

• Hi Sheila

I Wish I did know lots, being on here I’ve seen the hurt and frustration people have gone through. Strangely it’s the ladies that ask the questions, mostly about treatment and medication and their side effects. 
    Then we have ladies ask for advice about stress seeing a loved one, before a healthy person now half the guy he used to be. A lot of people don’t understand how it wrecks lives, lots of people look at me and say I look great, pity they cannot see inside me.

I’ve said this many many times on here, if it was not for the help of you ladies be it wives or partners, then we would crumble, the support you give us under the stress and strain  ( and yes we know you are ) is so appreciated words cannot say.

stay safe

Joe