DVLA and prostate cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Hi my husband is on his last 2 days of radiotherapy out of 37! He is a Hgv driver and his employer is saying by law he has to notify dvla that he has prostate cancer! I'm not so sure, I have looked on the gov site and it says if you drive a lorry to notify them if it affects your driving (which it doesn't!) Thinking

Any help would be gratefully received Pray

• I'm a driver for a national company. Not HGV. My managers know that I have PCa. If it was necessary to notify DVLA  I'm sure they would've told me. I will check tomorrow.

community.prostatecanceruk.org/.../t10517-Declaring-prostate-cancer-to-DVLA-and-Insurers

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Dennis1982

Thankyou Slight smile

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Sneezy  yes you are right!

i drove from 2006, when first diagnosed, until the present time! It was only recently, I decided to stop driving of my own accord because of reaching 70 and the disease also having progressed into my bones and pain management being the only treatment left.  So I agree with you.  Nothing to stop you driving!

good luck

billpayer

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you do not tell DVLA about a medical condition that affects your driving. You may be prosecuted if you’re involved in an accident as a result.

Car or motorcycle licence

You do not need to tell DVLA if you have cancer, unless:

- you develop problems with your brain or nervous system
    -your doctor says you might not be fit to drive
    - you’re restricted to certain types of vehicles or vehicles that have been adapted for you
    - your medication causes side effects which could affect your driving

Ask your doctor if you’re not sure if your cancer will affect your driving.

You must tell DVLA if your condition will affect your driving. Fill in form C1 and send it to DVLA. The address is on the form.

Bus, coach or lorry licence

You must tell DVLA if your condition will affect your driving.

Fill in form C1V and send it to DVLA. The address is on the form.