Brachytherapy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 107 subscribers

Had brachytherapy procedure on the 8th March. So a month into the process.

Anybody got any info or experience of the effects going forward. 

I currently have some abdominal issues uncomfortable rather than pain...using laxitive and passing urine...tamulosin 

I also at points just run out of energy. I had done some research and I am probably on the easier side of the side effects. Still managing the dog walk but need to be within bolting distance of toilet at points.

I'd be interested to hear any experience of the timescale and what's coming next in my journey.

Thanks

• Hi PJO.

I had brachytherapy a year ago, having previously had chemotherapy. Following brachytherapy I also had a short course of radiotherapy, and I am now in my third year of hormone therapy.

My ongoing issues at this stage mainly concern my digestive system and my urinary tract. Like you, I need to be near a bathroom. This may be due to the brachytherapy, but could equally be the result of a loss of muscle tissue, due to the hormone therapy. 

All the muscles fore and aft down there having been depleted over the course of my treatment I now tend to always sit when visiting the bathroom, as a number one these days frequently seems to trigger a number two.

My stools are generally far smaller than pre-treatment and also tend towards slimy stickiness rather than solidity (I do hope that you haven't eaten just now!).

Fatigue and muscle loss (leading to achy joints and a loss of physical strength) are also side effects that are probably most attributable to my hormone therapy.

On a brighter note, I am well enough recovered from all my treatments now to work once again (albeit close to a bathroom) and am generally enjoying life, although I do find that I need much more rest now than previously.

Generally speaking, given the fact that my cancer was an extremely aggressive one, I am extremely grateful for my brachytherapy, without which my cancer may well have metasticised by now, or I might not even have been able to write to you.

Very best wishes for a successful outcome to your treatment,

Jonathan.

Hoping for personal growth and a return to full health