Prostate cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hello,

I have joined this group to talk about my father's diagnosis and what I could expect in the future. I hope you can help?

My father aged 78 got stuck in the bath and mum could not get him out. She called the ambulance and he was admitted into hospital. Blood tests showed an abnormal kidney function. He had an Ultrasound that showed severe hydronephrosis and hydroureters, and an irregular left kidney with a few small cystic areas within the cortex. Creat 174 on a baseline of 95.

Dad is not on any medication, he has no problems with urinating and is not in any pain. His daily activities and routine has not changed. I was told his PSA is 1700. Below is a summary of what the CT showed. The doctor said that he has Prostate cancer which is confirmed from the PSA and CT shows it is spread to the lymph nodes and bone so no further diagnosis tests are required. A DRE showed a firm prostate. Treatment plan is Hormone Therapy and dad has started on 150mg Bicalutamide per day - doctor said this should help with his kidneys too.

Dad has been discharged from hospital and the diagnosis stated on his discharge summary says:

Severe bilateral hydronephrosis and hydroureters

Possible prostate malignancy causing sclerotic bony lesions suggesting metastases

Questions I have are:

Is the CT and PSA enough to confirm Prostate cancer?

Why does it say "Possible" in the diagnosis on discharge summary if the doctor was certain it has metastased?

Dad has no symptoms - is this possible with the diagnosis?

How long does dad have?

Something doesn't feel right - it could be that I am in denial which is why I have joined this group so I can talk this through.

I hope you will help me. Thank you.

CT result:

- bilateral moderate to severe hydronephrosis.
- some renal cortical thinning present.
- extensive retroperitoneal soft tissue which extends into the pelvis where enlarged nodes are seen at both pelvic side walls.
- Right pelvic sidewall nodes measure up to 2.8 cm in short axis diameter.
- Left pelvic sidewall nodes measure up to 2.0 cm in short axis diameter.
- No other gross abnormalities identified in the solid organs.
- Moderately enlarged prostate gland noted.
- There is a large indirect left inguinal hernia which contains loops of non-obstructed small and large bowel. This has been incompletely imaged.
- Note is also made of extensive sclerotic lesions throughout to the lumbar vertebrae and the pelvis.

Impression:
- Sclerotic bony lesions suggest metastases, most likely from a prostate malignancy. 
- The extensive retroperitoneal pelvic lymphadenopathy is most likely due to prostate malignancy. The differential for this appearance includes lymphoma.

• A PCa diagnosis can only be 100% following a biopsy, where the cancer is seen under a microscope.

But a CT, especially combined with a very high PSA can confirm an advanced prostate cancer with  - at a guess - 99.9% accuracy, especially once it has spread to the bone.

As for symptoms, the tragedy of prostate cancer is that many people get no symptoms at all until the cancer is very advanced; often bone pain.

In most cases, they do seek a biopsy, in order to get that 100%.

"Could be", "suggests", "most likely", "impression" and "possible" will invariably be used on a CT report, even if the consultant is certain, because they're looking at an image, not the actual cancer. The report, and the slides, will have been reviewed at a multidisciplinary meeting by the whole team, especially as there was no biopsy.

Though everyone is unique, there is a pattern of spread that suggests a particular form of cancer; simply reading that sentence from the CT report, it 'sounds like' prostate cancer, and unlike many other cancers. As the report says, the lymphadenopathy alone could be lymphoma; but the bone metastases would (almost certainly) rule that out.

Is there anything specific that makes you doubt the diagnosis? He's clearly unwell with something?

As to "How long does dad have?", That's an impossible question to answer - even for the team managing his problems. While we have 'a picture' of how he is now, that doesn't tell us how fast the cancer is growing, and there's no way to know how effective the hormone therapy will be; it varies with the individual, and that also depends on how advanced (at a cell level), the cancer is. But if all goes well, possibly years - I'd be more concerned about his kidney function and general health. It is possible that he has had some symptoms, but has considered them 'part of growing old' - the story of PCa men everywhere, alas.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Hi

I agree with Heinous, it all points to PC, the hormone tablets is the first wave of bringing down his PSA, he may move on to a different course once this is lowered. 
    surprised they did not do a biopsy, but there may be a reason for this. If he has a future appointment and someone goes with him, arm yourself with a bunch of questions and write down the answers. It helps deciding on where to go what decisions to take.

There are many of us on here ( including me ) who have had this disease for a number of years, treatment has greatly improved, so let’s hope he gets the right medication.

stay safe.

Joe

• Hi

my husband was diagnosed with APCa in 2018 at the age of 58. He had no symptoms and had gone to the doctors with a possible ear infection. He had some random bloods taken as part of an MOT (he rarely needed to go to the doctor before this) and one came back suggesting a bone or liver problem. His doctor did more bloods to check liver and his PSA. His PSA result came back at 1110 and he was referred immediately to the urologist at our local hospital. At his hospital appointment he had DRE and we were advised there and then that he had APCa. No biopsy carried out as they said there was no doubt. He started HT injections on the same day. He had to wait a couple of weeks for a CT and MRI scan, these were to check how far it had spread, not to confirm diagnosis. Once his scan results came back the hospital team discussed his treatment options and he started chemotherapy. 

many men can live a long and active life following a diagnosis, unfortunately this wasn’t the case for my husband who passed away last November but I do know men who are either in remission or living an active life with it, so try to stay positive. 

The MacMillan website provides very useful information on treatments, symptoms etc, and what to expect.

if there is a Maggie’s Centre near you I would recommend you check out their support meetings or even just pop in for a chat, lockdown rules permitting. You could go together or individually depending how you both feel. They do have a men’s cancer group and a prostate cancer group. They can also help with advising what help is available and help in filling in any forms to claim financial help. MacMillan can also provide this help.

Stay safe and positive

xx

• Hi Rosedale6

It was very sad about your husband, yes you are right, there are many of us ( me included ) who live for many extra years, my incurable PC means, it will get the better of me at some time, but as long as I can I will help others just like your doing.

It is hard for the family, I hope your getting by. I tell my wife I will fight all the way, I hope you keep giving advice and help, talking is a good thing, you ever want to just send me a message if it’s private I chat to everyone.

Stay safe

Joe

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Heinous

Thank you Heinous for your message. The CT scan and terms used make more sense after your explanation. They are looking at an image and not the actual cancer so they only commented on the enlarged prostate and more emphasis was placed on the bone lesions and lymph nodes which tells us the cancer has spread. Dad started Bicalutamide which increased his urine output and produced a stronger flow. The consultant said that they will try with the medication and see if that helps to clear the kidneys. I hope it's working. Dad says he is not in any pain and carries on with his normal routine. He has a blood test tomorrow and will know the results the following day. Thank you

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to joeven

Hi Joe - thank you for your message. The doctor said that his PSA confirms the cancer so no other diagnostic tests are required. Yes, thank you - I have written down the comments my parents made during our conversations and will bring them up when we see the consultant. I hope the medication works, dad has a blood test tomorrow and will know the results the day after. Fingers crossed his kidney function has improved. Thank you.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Rosedale6

Hello Rosedale6 - thank you for your message. I'm sorry to hear about your husband. Thank you for sharing what happened. I'll have a look if there is a Maggie's centre near me, thank you. It's been an anxious time and the mind thinks of the worst case scenario. Dad has a blood test tomorrow and an outpatient appointment on Wednesday so we should know a bit more than about his treatment plan. Thank you