Low PSA PIRADS 5

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hi there

My husband had DRE and GP unable to feel round back of prostate. Had PSA test which came back 0.8. Was referred to Urology and had MRI (not mpMRI). Urologist phoned to say that lesion 17mm found on left side rated PIRADS 5 but is stumped by low PSA. Hubby due to have TRUS biopsy on 1st April, but may not be allowed to by Cardiac team as he had heart attack in December and would have to come off his blood thinners. He will be told on Monday whether he can go ahead with biopsy or not. His prostate measures 3.5mmx3.7mmx4.0mm. Anyone had any experience of something similar? I’m very worried. Many thanks

• Hi MM and welcome

Sorry to hear about your hubby.

1.3 mm is very small and even if he can't have a biopsy yet active surveillance is probably a good alternative but obviously keeping an eye on it with regular Psa and MRI.

I have heard before of people with PC and a low PSA,  it does happen but not very often.

Try not to worry too much at this stage, it does look treatable/curable as things stand.

Best wishes

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Hi Steve, thank you for your reply. I really ought to have checked what I posted, the lesion is 17mm and not 1.7. That would’ve been the dream! But thank you for taking the time to reply. 

• Ok , well my largest tumor was 13 mm and that was sorted ok, let's hope that they can do the biopsy and then start on some Radiotherapy.

Steve

• I had by pass surgery in 2009 and recently a stroke in 2016 followed by a DVT in Feb 2018 that was when they checked my PSA level and found it to be high 11. Following a further check 7 months later it was still 11 so shortly after they requested a biopsy. This meant coming off the Blood Thinners four days before. I was and still am on Riveroxaban  but followed orders and was fine. Started again the following morning and suffered very little bleeding. I put my trust in the Doctors as it's all you can do and it is only a few days..

Good luck and i hope it all goes really well for him.

Regards Reg

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Prefect56

Glad to hear you’re doing well Reg. Thank you for replying. 

• The biopsy will identify what the lesion is. If it is prostate cancer then the histologists will be able to identify type and Gleason score. Hopefully it isn’t pc. 

Ido4

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ido4

Thank you for replying.