Husband's cancer has spread to his bones

• 9 replies
  • 110 subscribers

My husband had a radical prostectomy 18 months ago and we were hopeful everything was removed, but the surgeon said he couldn't be 100% sure but fairly confident.  His first PSA test post op qas 0.1, which we were pleased with and all seemed well.  We were told is was aggressive though and he would be kept a close eye on.

Covid then struck.  Further follow ups fell by the wayside.  He had a PSA test in June 2020, that was 0.4, which worried us slightly but no one else seemed very concerned.  I asked for a further blood test in September at local surgery, that was 0.8.  Now we were very concerned and I started chasing the hospital.  They were very good and the oncologist said take another test in December and we will see how things are progressing.  The next test was 1.0. 

They also are very concerned now.  In January a PET scan was organised and we got the result of that last month (Feb 2021)  It was horrible news and I still haven't got my head around it.  The cancer has spread to his bones and is also in the prostate bed (which is where we assumed it was).  The only treatment option available for him is hormone therapy, which we know is just palliative care.  He can't have RT as he had testicular cancer 45 years ago and although that saved his life it did a lot of damage also.  He is a very fit and active 76 year old, but is so worried about the treatment and the future.  His first injection is this week.

The oncologist said he was talking years rather than months but that the HT would eventually stop working.  He is one of four brothers and all four have had prostate cancer.  Two have died, one seems to be 'cured'. 

I am so scared for him but also frightened to death myself.  I am constantly bursting into tears and feel bloody awful and stupid for being so emotional and selfish.

Sorry just wanted to cry and rant a bit.

• Hi Franypan, sorry to hear about your husband, it must be a big shock when u realise that the treatment wasn't effective in curing the cancer.

Everyone on here dreads the cancer returning but there is still hope.

Firstly Hormone Therapy can last for many years plus new treatments appearing. Can be worth looking at Cancer research UK under clinical trials to consider new treatments.

Also has he been offered Chemo? Just another possibility.

See what others say.

I am sure that things will look better when  his further treatment gets under way.

Best wishes

Steve

• Hi 

OK all is not lost, like many of us here we are all being watched as our PC is incurable. I’ve had it in my bones for nearly five years, still fighting away.

The medication is much better now, even from only five years ago, the hormone therapy’s are much better, 

My PSA has gone from 0.04 after chemo HT and RT, to 5.3 maybe a bit higher now. My wife like you is in tears most of the time especially if she talks to anybody,  You worry about every letter that comes through the door especially from the hospital, trying to talk about it only makes you weep again, I know how you ladies feel, but being strong is your good points, we rely on you being positive for us. I’am sure he will be with you for some time to come.

Take Care

Joe

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Franypan. My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer 10 days ago which they have said there are bone metastasis. He has started hormone injections and has a bone scan on Friday. I feel like I’ve been punched in the face. I have gone sick from work to look after him. I don’t know what’s going to happen and I have not looked it up as I’m too scared. I know exactly how you feel it’s very frightening. Sending you lots of love x

• Thank you so much for your message Steve.  I will certainly look at clinical trials.  Chemo doesn't seem to be an option at the moment.

• Oh Joe, thank you for your message.  It made me cry but definitely helped me. xx

• hi Jessie

I totally understand your position also.  I have to say though you gave me strength and I hope I can also help you in the same way.

Sending love and will keep in touch

Fran

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Franypan. Don’t apologises for crying, you aren’t selfish. You go through so many different emotions. Anger, sorrow and despair.

my husband was diagnosed back in September, so I know how you are feeling.

We are all feeling for you and care.

Be brave, we are here for you.

Dusty Jae.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Franypan 

I totally understand how you feel, as my 79 year old father has advanced prostrate cancer.

He has been on hormone therapy for a couple of years now and it has only just stopped working and there are lots of different types of hormone treatment. All of which you can find information on the Macmillan website

I just want to share that I have just been referred to our local cancer hospice and the support and care that both my father and I have received has been amazing. I thought that going to my local hospice was all about end of life care but i wish I had been referred sooner because they know what they are doing and who to contact when needed

My father is just about to start lutetium 177 treatment, so fingers crossed

keep the faith and use Macmillan as they are amazing too

x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hello VanDan,

Please excuse me cutting in but is your father paying for the lutetium 177 treatment himself? That looks very promising but I would imagine it would cost a fortune.

The singer, Peter Gabriel paid £1m to have the large cancerous tumours that riddled his wife's body, removed and it was very successful.