Convicted 19 vaccination

• 5 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hi ,I have prostate cancer and I am on   Hormone 

treatment  and waiting on radiotherapy treatment.

And have not  been  approached by  any one yet

about  the vaccination.

and which vaccines are the best for some one with 

prostate cancer.

can anyone tell  me what there thinking on this matter is. Or is there any one in the same  boat as I am.

thanks

stan1

• I've followed it all pretty closely, and for someone with prostate cancer - but not immunosuppressed (ie not chemotherapy) - you couldn't fit a razor blade between the different offerings.

But there's definitely a big difference between taking it and not. Some say that we are no different to those who haven't had cancer, in an immunity sense, while I maintain that anyone who has had major surgery or 37 doses of radiotherapy, or heavy doses of life-changing hormones (let alone any changes caused by the cancer itself!!) will never be 100% again: still, we are much closer to 'normality' than we are to 'immunosuppressed'. On the other hand, we often spend more time on NHS property than a fit person, which is a risk in itself at the moment.

So I'd say go for it, ASAP!

If you are 65+ you should have been invited by now; less than 65 and you may have a little longer to wait (Assuming you're UK!).

I'm 69; I was invited a fortnight ago by my GP, and got the Pfizer via a neighbouring GP surgery 9 days ago. Unlike most of my 'over 65' friends, I still haven't received the government invitation to travel 20 miles to a mega-centre.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Hi Stan1,

If the only medical condition you have is your prostate cancer ("only"? - you know what I mean!) then you aren't in a priority group, so you'll be contacted according to your age by the NHS, locally to where you live.

You won't be offered a choice of vaccine - no-one is! - and having any of the available vaccines will give you much more protection than not having a vaccination.

Best of luck with your treatment!

Angus (not my real name)

• I was beginning to think I had been missed then I had a call from the booking center offering the following morning and almost exactly the same time a text from my GP with a link to book. I had the Pfizer and no problems other than a slightly sore arm for a day. I've been on HT for 2 years and finished RT 2019. I've not found that any of my friends have had any problems at all.

Best of luck with your treatment.     Regards Reg

• Thanks for the info, still on my hormone pills, my skin getting soft, waiting for my  dates for  my  radiotherapy to start. 

Stay safe and well 

• Hi Stan, My skin has  got a bit dry and flaky so I apply a little E 45 cream  an d hope it returns to normal when I come off HT .  Radiotherapy is for most an easy treatment and nothing to worry about.

Best wishes for the future    Reg