Cancer has spread

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Good Afternoon to you all,

We have found out yesterday that my 84 year old fathers prostate cancer has spread to his spine and ribs and he now has MSCC (malignant spinal cord compression) He has been given a prognosis of months.

I am just wondering if anyone within the group has had experience with this progression of prostate cancer.

He is receiving radiotherapy (for pain relief) next week and palliative care has been arranged.  

He is very fearless of being in pain and has taken the news badly.

Any advice about what to expect or to help him manage this time would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

C

• Hi Claire

That is very bad news, is he still on hormone therapy, I know from experience the radiotherapy will help, did they say apart from what he has been offered there is nothing else ? The human body is a strange thing, I had two slip discs, but they do not seem to have bothered me for a while.

I hope his months turn into a lot longer, I will certainly be rooting for him.

take care stay safe

Joe

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to joeven

Hi Joe, thank you for your reply.

He was on abiraterone acetate but has been told to stop taking those, first day without today, and reduce the steroid from twice a day to once every other day. In recent weeks he has been taking orimorph for pain relief, but has now been prescribed a slow release morphine capsule which is to be taken every 12 hours and then orimorph if needed on top.

regards Claire

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to joeven

Hi Joe, thank you for your reply.

He was on abiraterone acetate but has been told to stop taking those, first day without today, and reduce the steroid from twice a day to once every other day. In recent weeks he has been taking orimorph for pain relief, but has now been prescribed a slow release morphine capsule which is to be taken every 12 hours and then orimorph if needed on top.

regards Claire