Prostate Cancer and the COVID vaccine

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 111 subscribers

OK. So I've never posted to a forum before. Apologies if I'm not doing this correctly.  I have locally advanced Prostate cancer, which I was diagnosed with in January 2017, and Type 2 Diabetes, which I was diagnosed with a few months ago. I work in a Nursing home, and have been told we will soon be offered the Pfizer/BioNTech  vaccine. I have to sign a consent form to agree or disagree to having the vaccine, but My manager says that because of my illnesses, I have to get confirmation that it is safe for me to have the vaccine.

My Question is, does anybody know where I could get such confirmation? Is it even possible? I called my GP, and the receptionist said that the Doctor wouldn't be able to give me that information, and I should call 119. I did so, but it was just about getting tests for the virus and other related information. If anybody is able to point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful. Sorry for being so long winded

• Hi Subton welcome to the forum I wonder if you might like to give the Macmillan Line a call as they may be able to help with your query. 08088080000

gail

Community Champion Badge

• I don't see that it's anything to do with your manager, but hey ho.

There is no reason - based on what you've said, and you're well enough to work  - that the vaccine is any more of a problem to you than anyone else, and most would say much less of a problem than Covid-19 would be.

I would ask your manager why s/he is suggesting that, and what confirmation does s/he have in mind.

I would also say "Are you saying that everyone is to be protected, but you want me to remain at risk of covid?"

Once that manager realises that s/he will bear the consequences of denying you the vaccine, the story may change.

In the end, it's up to you; either you consent to the vaccine or you don't. No-one else's business.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Hi

Ive had my PC a little longer than you, like you as well I was diagnosed type to 2 diabetes as well. ( as if I didn’t have enough tabs to take ) I have checked assorted sites, NHS and others, all say more or less the same, that it may have the same side effects that we suffer from taking, well in my case Metformin, and I also take Xtandi. Side effects being tiredness, joint pain, the runs, headache. But nothing about the interaction although they say it is just like the flu jab.

I myself am a little cautious, as I with drugs we take go through years of testing, so they know all the side effects and the dangers. Having said that they do say it is safe so fingers crossed.

keep safe

Joe

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Heinous

My oncologist said the vaccine is a no for me at the moment as there is insufficient information on its safety for those on certain cancer treatments. Ive finished Chemo in September and now 6 weeks on Abi.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I'm only on Bicalutamide tablets once daily, and a quarterly hormone injectionat the moment.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Heinous

I think it's just a case of CYA. They don't want to allow me to have the vaccine, become ill and sue them :-). There's an article on the website homepage that says there is no reason that there should be any side effects :-). I've signed and handed in the consent form. I love your little paragraph at the end :-). Take Care

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to GRANNY59

Thank You