Active Surveillance

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Hi everybody. I was diagnosed with PCa in November 2016 ( Gleeson 6 T2b). I have had 6 monthly PSA tests and two DRE's in that time. PSA is currently 1.3. My last consultation was in September, by phone. I have always previously seen a consultant. I was advised at that time that because my PSA was still low, there was no further need to for me to visit hospital every six months, but to have PSA checked every 6 months, and if there were any concerns the team would contact me.

I wondered if anyone else with low grade PCa has had similar treatment advice ?

• Hi CA

That PSA is incredibly low for someone with PC, what have other PSA figures been before. I was on AS for 4 years but my PSA was slowly going up and yearly MRIs showed that it was growing and had to go for treatment in the end.

• In your case I reckon that u should be having yearly MRi to show that it's not growing/spreading. 

T2b and a PSa of 1.3 is a bit odd and needs to be monitored.

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Steve. Previous PSA have been as low as 0.84, so it has risen, but not much. It was at 4.7 when diagnosed. I have asked about MRI's, but get told that as PSA is low, there is no need for scan?  I have questioned this but get same answer.

• They should have done a Mri when PSa was 4.7 just to check. You have been diagnosed with Gleeson 6 so the cancer can't have just vanished. Seems odd that they have done a biopsy but not a Mri since 2016.

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

I had MRI and template biopsy and several other tests pre diagnosis. As I say, I have questioned why I can't have MRI, but apart from the DRE's and PSA tests, there has been no other interventions. Time to contact consultant. Again. Thanks for your input. 

• How stingy is that. You have been on AS for 4 years so obviously no treatment , yet PSA going down .

Unless the biopsy was not correct , perhaps no cancer, only a MRI will tell or another biopsy but MRI first.

Steve