PREDICT Tool. Any good???

• 6 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Just came across the NHS Predict tool.

The tool is intended for men with non-metastatic prostate cancer who are deciding between conservative and radical management regimes.

Has anyone used it and what do you think of it as a decision making tool?

• Hi Robin P welcome to the forum I have no experience of this being used for Prostate Cancer but it is widely used very successfully in Breast Cancer when deciding about ongoing Hormone treatments  etc.  

gail

Community Champion Badge

• I just put my details in as they stood 4 years ago at diagnosis and it came up with my choice of treatment and the outcomes have been great so it looks like it would have worked for me and given me the correct choice of treatment.

• PS Don't know what I would have felt if it hadn't so if you are of an anxious disposition and have already had your treatment don't try it!

• Given I am a PC newbie, I found it very helpful to arrive at a decision as it brings all the info together in a very helpful format, comparing conservative with radical.  My main takeaway was the difference between the treatments over 15 years is not that great compared to potential 'quality of life' loss.

So far, I have only had the initial meeting with a surgeon where I was told I had PC and given 2 choices, surgery or radiotherapy + HT, but I am having a second meeting on Thursday and will be discussing the tool results then.

For reference here are my results

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Interesting as I was just diagnosed last week.

What exactly is meant by "conservative management"?

I'm still trying to evaluate my options.

• I think that conservative management is the same as active surveillance , in other words, regular Psa test and possibly yearly MRI and then go for treatment when necessary

Steve