Prostatitis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 108 subscribers

After my radio therapy for a prostate tumor (which was confined to the prostate) had settled down I was free of any symptoms for several weeks. Then I started to develop aches and pains in the prostate area, which has now lasted for 3 months. I have been diagnosed with Prostatitis and was put on antibiotics for 2 weeks. This did not work, and my Oncologist consultant put me on the antibiotics again for one month as he felt 2 weeks was not enough. I have now been on them for 2 weeks and I know I should wait until the full month is up, but my symptoms are getting worse. I am mentally and physically worn out and don't have much faith that the problem will be solved. Has anyone else had similar problems?

• As always I would recommend you contact your oncologist again, especially as your symptoms are getting worse.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

I am seeing in 2 weeks so I guess I have to be patient

• I have non-bacterial prostatitis, which is chronic inflammation of the prostate, since my template biopsy in 2017.

When I get bad flare-ups, I take high doses of paracetamol and lay down with a hot water bottle between my legs. I have had several 2 week courses of ciprofloxacin but they only provide temporary relief and always cause a fungal infection.  I find that exercise and keeping fit is generally beneficial because it relieves the pain and keeps me from depression.

The flare ups are not quite as bad as they were 3 years ago and I am hopeful that eventually it will go away.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to David193

thanks David, I too take paracetamol , lets hope we get final relief soon