Shadow on pelvic bone

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Hi all and thank you all for being part of this supportive community.

My 59yo husband got his diagnosis this week of Gleason 3+4 following a routine blood test that flagged a,PSA level of 7.6.  He is having a CT scan today and they've mentioned a shadow on hia pelvic bone.  He has had no symptoms at all.

Unfortunately I listened to someone who's father had it in his bones by the time he was diagnosed and that has gripped me with terror. We had hoped we could get through this without our 9year olds ever knowing 

What do I need to brace us for?  

• I'm afraid it's a waiting game; I wouldn't guess at what's coming, because there's just so many possibilities. I know it's tough; we've all been there!

One thing I can say with confidence is that men in his place - diagnosis without any symptoms - have a very good chance of having 20 years or more ahead.

I know it's impossible, but try not to worry just yet, you may not need to.

When there's more detail, we can advise ...

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Heinous

Thank you so much...

• Hi  TW

It's unlikely, although not impossible , to have spread to the bones with a low PSA and lowish Gleeson.

Hopefully the Ct scan will show negative. I presume that he has already had a MRi and this has shown the shadow?

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Thank you Grundo for your reply. It really helps to get me through the next wait.  

Much appreciated

• Hi my Gleason was 3+4 psa 13. It’s in my ribs,  the thing you need to bare in mind is step by step. What will be will be.  Consider the immediate, the next step, you’re 9 year olds will need to know probably, you husband will have some treatment, hopefully localised in which case surgery or radiotherapy, perhaps braciatherapy.  I hope not spread but if so chemo.

take your time, consider next steps, show your children that you are confident in the nhs, even if spread it can be controlled for many years to come.  If they see or sense you panic it will throw them, if they think you’re hiding something they will catastrophise it to something it’s not. Macmillan have booklets advising how to talk to children, it’s worth a read.

I cannot emphasise enough only concentrate on next step, that is the only way to manage

• No disrespect - we're all different - but I would disagree with that. While it might work for you, I see Prostate Cancer as a marathon: it's important to look long term, not least in order to choose the right treatment options.
    But I do agree that until you know what the score is, it's just a matter of being patient - impossible though that is.
    BTW - you're also right about the children; include them as much as you can - they are passengers on this trip.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Hello 

sorry to have only seen this now but started RT two weeks ago and have been preoccupied.

With a PSA of 7.6 any metastasis should normally be visible in a PET PSMA scan or  in a PET Cholina .

If its in a bone a Scyntigraphy should show it.

I see he will have a CT and may be this is already an advanced imaging type of CT .

A PET PSMA would also show other lesions so might be advisable .

I presume the Gleason was diagnosed by biopsy?

I wish you all the best and hope all goes well.

• Hi

first a Gleason score of seven is very treatable, ct scans are good but there are more in depth scans he can have. I’am a Gleason 9/10 and have it in my bones, but with chemo and radiotherapy took my PSA way down. 
    The main thing is to be both positive, the urology dept are good people and will give you the best advice and treatment. Prostate is the slowest growing cancer, so please do not worry, once his treatments start you will both be in a better frame of mind.

Stay safe take care.

joe