Stomach problems

• 9 replies
  • 111 subscribers

My partner, P, is on Zoldaex, Cyproterone (for the hot flushes) and enzalutamide. Over the past month he has suffered from bad indigestion - trapped wind so bad he can't sleep lying down, and now is getting a pressure sore from sleeping upright in a chair.  Can this be due to the medication - particularly enzalutamide ? He is on lansoprazole, which does not seem to be helping much. Anybody have experience of this, or any ideas for how to ease the problem? Apparently his latest blood results re the enzalutamide treatment were OK, and his CT 6 weeks or so ago was clear.

• Hi , my husband had similar problems with his stomach. His GP put him on esomeprazole. Your husband would probably have to ask for it as it's much more expensive but they will prescribe it when it's needed, as it clearly is. I'm sure someone else will be along soon with more ideas.

Hugs,

LoobyLou
    If you find dust in my house, write your name in it. When the signatures overlap I'll get the polish. 

Click here to see how to add details to your profile. It helps everyone to see a little about you

• I think that drugs ending ...prazole are pretty much the same, the idea is to reduce stomach acid.

I was prescribed once, took one look at the side effects and long term effects of taking them and ended up binning them

I think that these drugs, ...prazole, long term are a definite no no.

I am not sure about the other drugs that he is taking ie enzalutamide, have u checked the side effects on the leaflet?

I have always found that with stomach problems try looking at the diet

Ie little or no red meat, sugar, white carbs, alcohol and eat as much fruit and veg as poss

Best wishes

Steve

• "I think that drugs ending ...prazole are pretty much the same"

They do vary quite a bit, actually, as do their side effects.

Most people don't get side effects, and those that do often  find they're mild - and in almost all cases, they're better off taking the stuff rather than suffering the acid (which has awful effects, up to and including death), or taking alternative treatments (most of which have worse side effects).

In short, I'd have a chat with your GP, and tell him it isn't working. There may be an alternative that does work for you.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• These ....prazole drugs are classed as Proton Pump Inhibitors , side effects can include headache, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, there are other potentially more serious side effects which I presume are not as common.

• can include

Yes they can. As can most drugs. But they don't often. They're among the safest drugs around.

If you hate drugs, fine: but I'd definitely avoid chemo, which has worse side effects and almost everybody gets them.

And I remember the days when people died - horrible deaths - from stomach and peptic ulcers; that virtually never happens now. First H2 blockers (ranitidine, cimetidine), now proton pump inhibitors, have changed the world. they aren't perfect, no-one is claiming that they are. But NOT taking effective, very safe drugs is almost invariably worse than taking them; your choice, of course.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• He's already on lansoprazole, which isn't helping much; he's tried esomeprazole but only for about a week - in that time that didn't help much either. Wondering about one of the H2 blockers - he's had ranitidine in the past which was effective for this sort of problem - but of course they've withdrawn it, and he can't take cimetidine with enzalutamide. He's just got an appointment for endoscopy next week, so maybe that will give a lead. And yes, Heinous, I remember those days as well - my grandfather died from pneumonia after surgery for his stomach ulcers, in the early 50s.

Partner of man with advanced prostate cancer.
  • He had a phone call from the GP today, and the suggestion now is that his calcium is slightly high, and that that can cause an increase in stomach acid. The GP wrote to oncology last week, and is waiting to hear back.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to linopartner

i get bad acid refux, diagnosed with G O R D...i have a hiatus hetnia.

Been taking Lansoprasole for years. It helped. I waa able to eat relatively normally again.Nowadays i wonder if it is helping much. acid and trapped wind+++

Got a phone appt. with oncologist friday. Psa bloods done. Hoping to be discharged to g p after the call if psa is ok

May it go well with you both.

Alex

• Thanks for your good wishes, Alex. I can't work out how to "reply" as such. Hope all goes well with the oncologist.