Interesting, to say the least.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hello, everyone.

I'm relatively new, only having joined this panel/group some time around February, at which time I had a biopsy to check my prostate, after having had a couple/few consecutive PSA tests that revealed only slightly elevated PSA levels (two consecutive 4.0 readings with my primary care physician and a 4.9 reading several months later, with a local urologist).

The biopsy came back positive, with a Gleason score of 7 (3+4). My urologist agreed to proceed with active monitoring, with an MRI to be the next step. He also verbally recommended that I get a second opinion, which I was going to do whether he said anything, or not.

I am in the U.S. and live relatively close (enough) to one of the Mayo Clinic hospitals. They are one of the top cancer facilities in the U.S., and so I understand, the world. So, I made an appointment with them, traveled to see them and met with my now-new urologist and had my MRI.

Interestingly (hence the title of this post), my MRI results revealed no cancer. The doctor who read the MRI said they found no cancer, and said that everything seen within the MRI, the measured size of my prostate (46 cc from the MRI), the PSA readings, etc., is consistent with BPH. I was 58-years-old when the MRI was performed, having just in the past several weeks turned 59.

Obviously, I was very happy and relieved to see the test results. I know of no prostate cancer having occurred within my family, and this is on both of my parents' sides. I did not, at all, expect the positive reading from the biopsy. My urologist who performed the biopsy also told me he did not expect to have found cancer, especially with the very low PSA readings. He figured it was most likely just an enlarged prostate.

My urologist with Mayo Clinic had also requested that my biopsy slides/images be sent to them for their review. Mayo received and reviewed them, and said they agreed with the original stated findings of a Gleason 7 (3+4).

That being said, my urologist with Mayo Clinic told me that the MRI results "look really good" and we're going to go forward with active monitoring, with my having a six-month appointment, and I believe he said they would check PSA levels and perform a digital rectal exam. I'm figuring another MRI will be probably at the one year mark (??).

Anyway, I say all of this to share with you that I'm sort of scratching my head regarding the clean MRI... scratching it happily, none the less. I'm wondering if it is even possible for there to be prostate cancer present and it not be picked up by an MRI. It leads me to question to biopsy results, especially in that I have FAR greater trust in the folk at Mayo Clinic.

I guess time will tell what is the truth. At this point I'm just very glad that doctors aren't trying to steer me toward surgery. Granted, if/when the time comes that we do need to go that route, so be it. I feel much, much better working with the folk at Mayo Clinic than those here locally.

• "I'm wondering if it is even possible for there to be prostate cancer present and it not be picked up by an MRI"

It is. Imaging is amazing and has advanced by leaps and bounds over the past few decades. But it is still not perfect, and can easily miss small cancer deposits; as many people with metastases missed by MRI will confirm. Biopsy, on the other hand, is an actual examination of actual cells; possible to misinterpret, but very, very unlikely. With a biopsy, a false negative is much, much more likely (but still uncommon), as the biopsy can miss the cancer completely.

Also, I'd not be too influenced by your family history; while PCa is sometimes familial, it often isn't (no history in my family!).

Just to clarify where I think you are:

You said: " I have FAR greater trust in the folk at Mayo Clinic"

Which is fine, they have an excellent reputation.

But the Mayo also said: "they agreed with the original stated findings of a Gleason 7 (3+4)"

I suspect all this means that you have a very small cancer, that could stay that way for very long time (PCa is usually a very slow mover).

Still, something to celebrate!

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• I agree with everything that has been said , just keep monitoring, not sure if u had a mpMri , if not then see if u can have one next time as it shows more detail.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Heinous

Thank you for your very thorough and informative reply. Yes, my hope is that this goes on (only active monitoring) for a very, VERY long time. And, indeed, Mayo did agree with the assessment per their having read the slides sent to them by the outside lab who read them, initially. Hopefully, it is a very, very small cancer, if there at all. Maybe somewhere down the road another biopsy may help reveal what is, or is not, truly going on. I really do feel much, much better going with Mayo Clinic. One thing I found, straight away, is that they do all of their biopsy readings, MRI readings, everything, in-house. The local hospital system here where I live (where my original urologist practices) sends these to outside companies to get results.

Again, thank you for your very thorough and informative reply.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Thank you for your reply. They did perform the MRI both with and without contrast. I am assuming that is to which you are referring? I guess with the MRI not showing anything, and the urologist's comment that it "looks really good" is more so an affirmation of a true low-grade Gleason score. I guess the MRI would have shown if there was more which the biopsy did not find, were there more to see, and that may have been more what they hoped to find out by way of the MRI. The urologist did not hesitate to say he was very comfortable with us moving forward with active monitoring, for which I am truly thankful (whew!).  :-)