Young diagnosis

• 30 replies
  • 112 subscribers

just read your comment on a previous post. It’s a complete kick in the guts. I’m 51 with metastasis to the ribs, think mine was caught earlier than yours

in the space of a few weeks, months for me, going from healthy to incurable.  One minute walking into a gp for regular blood test through all the diagnosis processes believing it will be fine, I’m invincible to coming to terms with the fact I have prostrate cancer but believing it curable, through surgery until the metastasis were found. Then chemotherapy and hormone therapy.

I hope you can adjust to the new normal and we quickly return to a position where we can get the best and most appropriate treatment.

are there many other under 55 in similar position to us

regards

John

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sure,there are many

E.g myself-in 52' been diagnosed with it in Gleason scale 7(4+3).

Currently,after LPR 

All the best 

• At times it feels like we're too young for this horrid disease.

Hormone therapy saps my energy with flushes being uncomfortable. Mood swings, most of the time okay other times quite low

Regards

John

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

Nothing to add. Get prostate cancer when you're  young  in most of cases cost  us much more  mental problems than  our a bit olders colleges with the same problem. How to work/how to uplift any heavier stuff when we have to work  another 10-15 years at least?

Best wishes 

• It must be hard for you guys being so young when diagnosed. I know how it affected me & my family when I was diagnosed this March and I am coming up on 66. Had a discussion about Prostate Cancer with my brother yesterday and we both agreed that some sort of screening process should be available/put in place as soon as a man reaches 50 years old. Any type of cancer is indiscriminate when it comes to age, gender or ethnic background so earlier testing or screening would surely be beneficial to all concerned.

Take care,   Tom

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to HarleyD

Hi Tom

I'm probably the last person who is going to blame to other ones because of my cancer. My fault and only mine I didn't check my PSA when I was  younger. 

Now,once again,aftee prostatectomia,with pad between legs?And without a clue about  final  histopatology so far?

How to find any rey of hope? 

• I don't blame anyone. Just the message, i thought being 50 I was checking early. Yet seems too late. I should have started checking at 40 or at latest 45.

hopefully for you the surgery has been a solution. The only way to deal with this is step by step.  My cancer is being held at bay atm. I know further options are available if required and that's where I need to keep in the present deal with tomorrow tomorrow.

• Hello Harley D

Just make sure that you tell all your male relatives and friends to have regular PSA tests that's all we can do at the moment.  This is what my urologist told me to do.  If their GP refuses to do it then ask to be referred to a private hospital or ask to pay for the test - it could save a life.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

How GP could refuse it?Are they  extremely unreasonable?

• Typically the medical profession are concerned that psa testing raises more false positives than true positives.  This mean a lot of men might go through angst and a proportion biopsy’s or even surgery when the cancer is slow growing, meaning it never become an issue. We’re the unfortunate ones whose cancer is an issue and does require treatment.  This is where a better test is required, more accurate grading of the aggression of the cancer. Women have breast and cervical screening us men lack equivalent high grade   prostrate testing.  High psa is often due to other benign reasons but it’s the best test we have.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

Indeed 

The best solution in my opinion is MRI for the start and then everything depends on the results of it