Bicalutamide and second prostap injection

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 110 subscribers

When I had my first Prostap injection I took bicalutamide for two weeks before and after. 

I'm having the next injection soon would I need to take bicalutamide again or would that not be necessary as there would be no tumour flare? 

• I've been having Prostap for 18 months now (every 3 months) and only had Bicalutamide for the first one so I think that it's the only one that will cause flair. As with you I took it for two weeks either side of the first shot but not since.

Good luck with it!

Regards Reg

• You are spot on. The bicalutamide supresses a flare caused by a sudden change in hormone levels. Since the prostap (or any other hormone therapy) should still be working there is no sudden change, so no flame as the body tries to rebalance

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

Thought that might be the case. I had some idea that there might be a flare as the first injection had somehow 'worn out' after three months if you see what I mean! You have put my mind at rest thanks. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Actually the reason I'm asking is I'm having a blood test a few days after my second injection for PSA and testosterone. I cannot get a test before the injection due to a massive waiting list for tests and I wondered whether the new injection would skew the results? 

• Hi, I think that the Prostap is absorbed slowly by the body over the course of the 12 weeks between injections so once started should remain at about the same level in your system and therefore have no direct effect on blood tests. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong this is a great site for help and assistance.

Best regards Reg

• Reg is correct and, as it is absorbed slowly, it will take some time to disappear from your system when the injections stop. You also have some latitude of +/- a week for the next injection without a problem, just try to get the following one on the correct date.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • It’s very important the dates, I found my surgery were using three months, six months rather than 12, 24 weeks.  
    the doses are based on weeks so over a year you could be short by 4 weeks, I’m sure that would be fine but rather not tempt fate and want to be sure when it starts growing that I’ve done everything correctly to the best of my knowledge ability 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

Oh yes, I know it's important to have it every 12 weeks not three months.

As I said, there is a horrendous wait for blood tests, our surgery doesn't do them in normal times, and our health centre have stopped doing them so a big problem.

My concern was that I'm having the Prostap (on time at the surgery, yeah I know why can't they do blood tests too) but having the blood test a few days later. But I'm reassured the test results won't be affected.